Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying to Ph.D. programs for my second time. I had applied to several last year and even was invited to some interviews, but unfortunately I was accepted anywhere. As I'm reapplying I'm concerned about reapplying to some of the same schools. If anyone has been in this situation, I would love some advice. I'm considering owning up to it and using it as a positive so I can say how much I've grown and gained from the experience; however, I'm worried this might look bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I reapplied and am in a program that rejected me the first time. On my second go-around, I got interviews at places I didn't before and rejections from places I got interviews with before. The field really changes so much year to year. Good luck. I honestly wouldn't mention re-applying all that much in your new application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, that's an interesting question. I wouldn't really mention it in the essays for schools where you didn't receive interviews (in all honesty, they probably have very little recollection of your file), but for schools where you did have interviews, I wonder if it would be weird not to mention it. For those programs, you might want to focus your essay more on what you've done in the past year (as opposed to the 'grand narrative' one typically does), but then again, it's possible that they won't remember much either, and then you could be losing out on sharing important information. So the bottom line is, I'm not much help at all, but I'm curious to hear what other people have to say.

Don't mention it. It isn't a big deal, but there's no reason to bring it up.

Don't be concerned. I had a similar situation occur... 15 apps, no acceptances and only 2 interview offers.

Of those schools, I reapplied to several again. I also applied to some additional schools, and dropped a few that I didn't have a real chance at the first time through but was reaching for the stars on (e.g. Yale.)

Year 1: Interviewed by Oklahoma State University and Michigan State University.

Year 2: Offered interviews at 14 schools, accepted 8 interviews, and was accepted at 3 schools that I really liked, one of which was my number 1 choice that year.

I was accepted at University of Maine, Texas A&M, and Uniformed Services University. It was crazy the difference a year made.

While I was not accepted at a few schools that I really liked (University of Alabama and University of Kansas) I was interviewed at both and was quite competitive. I was also invited a second time to MSU for an interview, which was great. I was also turned down by some lessor schools... how that happened, I dunno, but I really didn't care to be honest.

So keep your head up and be persistent. USU (my number 1 choice last year, didn't even talk to me after applying year 1.) and didn't offer me a slot until April 10th, after another candidate failed to physically qualify. Don't be afraid to not dwell on last year unless you have made great strides personally... in which case draw attention to those changes.

Mark