1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

reapplying

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Slimfast, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Slimfast

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you reapply to dental schools can you use the same letters of recommendation and personal statement?

2. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Did they help you the first time?

3. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    When you applied the first time, did you contact the schools to ask about the weaknesses of your application? If it was something like improving your GPA, DAT, or extra-curriculars, and you have improved in that area, then I guess you could use the same PS and letters. But if you didn't contact the schools, then you really don't know what got you rejected- it could have been your PS or LOEs. Whichever case it is, I don't think you should flat-out submit the exact same stuff; you should at least take a 2nd look at everything and perhaps update/improve your PS and maybe ask your professors to also update their recommendation letters. Good luck.

4. Rajan247

Rajan247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    +1

5. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Some schools will not accept the same letters from re-applicants. Some will accept 2, but expect at least one NEW letter from a new writer. These are things you need to ask the schools, but to be safe I'd say you could get two new writers and keep your dentist, though have him rewrite it?

I submitted 2 old ones and 1 new one this go-around and it worked fine. My dentist had to write a new one because I didn't keep the other one on file, but one of my professors just re-submitted the identical one as far as I know.

6. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    doc, you know better than me, the whole package is under cosidration. maybe the LOEs letters weren't the issue.

:thumbup:

7. DuffMan01

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For the most part, yes! But I agree with Victoria also. You need to check each school individually what their requirments are. I know if your reapplying to U of Detroit Mercy, they do require new LOR.

Good luck!

8. eldirty

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    When I reapplied I used the same letterrs but also added a few new ones to improve my application a bit ... Best of luck to you!

9. Slimfast

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks guys~