ECUpirate19

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Alright I'm applying next cycle and taking the DAT in may. I have a 3.63 overall gpa with a 3.66 sgpa, but I feel like my EC's might be weak. I have about 100 hours of volunteer work through the missions of mercy clinics here and am part of a few honors organizations and lived in the leadership dorm my freshman year. I have also played on an intramural softball team. Im concerned given my Gpa I dont have enough EC's should I be concerned?

Bman1047

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
I hope you're not fishing for compliments, 'cause I think you know you're just fine.

ECs aren't that much of a factor past DAT and GPA.

ECUpirate19

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
not fishing for compliments just was wondering since everyone I talked to had a lot more than I is all. I didnt mean to come off as looking for compliments.

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
ECs aren't that much of a factor past DAT and GPA.
You have no idea what you're saying....

OP, you are good, it seems that your EC's are well rounded. Although the more EC's the better.

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
You have no idea what you're saying....

OP, you are good, it seems that your EC's are well rounded. Although the more EC's the better.
I agree with Tommy on this one. It's the whole picture so really.. you don't know what you're saying Bman. EC's matter just as much as the next thing.

And I don't see you fishing for compliments. I've seen people with far more ECs and I do think that you're asking an honest question. First, I think you're fine with what you have but as of right now you may just be "average" in the EC department. It doesn't hurt to throw some more EC's up there.

Are you applying this cycle? You don't want to make it obvious you're throwing in last minute ECs.

Bman1047

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
Nonetheless OP, I think ur ECs are fine, and I believe you don't need pages of them to be a good applicant, clearly some people disagree for whatever reason they believe, but the fact of the matter is you don't need tons of them to get in...period.

ECUpirate19

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
thats exactly how I felt avery. Im hoping that I can make up for the average EC's with a good DAT score and great letters of recommendation. Do dental schools look at what classes you take or not really? I ask because I am taking human gross in the fall here and I see that as being something to separate me from someone else but idk

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
Unless you completely bomb the DAT you're getting interviews with those stats. Focus on the interview and make sure your personal statement is strong.

UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
thats exactly how I felt avery. Im hoping that I can make up for the average EC's with a good DAT score and great letters of recommendation. Do dental schools look at what classes you take or not really? I ask because I am taking human gross in the fall here and I see that as being something to separate me from someone else but idk
You have
-softball team
-volunteering
-dorm leadership
-some organizations

AADSAS only lets you put five volunteering things right? So you are fine.

I only did volunteering at a hospital. Had a part-time job for 2 years. Pre-dental club. I hope thats enough.

I know people on here and pre-dents have crazy lists and are presidents of everything.

uclaDDS101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
Boston
Status
Dental Student
You have
-softball team
-volunteering
-dorm leadership
-some organizations

AADSAS only lets you put five volunteering things right? So you are fine.

I only did volunteering at a hospital. Had a part-time job for 2 years. Pre-dental club. I hope thats enough.

I know people on here and pre-dents have crazy lists and are presidents of everything.
AADSAS lets you put 10 volunteering/EC's.

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
ha...YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE SAYING...
^^^This thought process is probably a big reason why you aren't matriculating this year :shrug:

and I believe you don't need pages of them to be a good applicant
Who said pages?

I have okay stats and got into multiple schools.(and even turned down 2 interviews)

Why?

Because i have GOOD EC's, good letters of rec, and a good personal statement.

DS apps aren't just about GPA & DAT, just as much as those two things factor in on admission i believe the rest of you app factors in!

So please don't give out false advice when you have no idea what your saying bman. And maybe realizing these variables on the app process will help you towards getting in next year.

Bman1047

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
^^^This thought process is probably a big reason why you aren't matriculating this year :shrug:

Who said pages?

I have okay stats and got into multiple schools.(and even turned down 2 interviews)

Why?

Because i have GOOD EC's, good letters of rec, and a good personal statement.

DS apps aren't just about GPA & DAT, just as much as those two things factor in on admission i believe the rest of you app factors in!

So please don't give out false advice when you have no idea what your saying bman. And maybe realizing these variables on the app process will help you towards getting in next year.

Assumption is the 1st sign of ignorance...you have no clue rather Im matriculating or not...to bad you WRONG!

But Im not going to argue with you, you think 'cause you got in, your case must be the standard, true sign of arrogance. I gave my opinion to the OP, and the OP alone... rather you agree or not is your own prerogative playa. Now you go to dental school with your "GOOD ECs" and I will go with mine...

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
Assumption is the 1st sign of ignorance...you have no clue rather Im matriculating or not...to bad you WRONG!

But Im not going to argue with you, you think 'cause you got in, your case must be the standard, true sign of arrogance. I gave my opinion to the OP, and the OP alone... rather you agree or not is your own prerogative playa. Now you go to dental school with your "GOOD ECs" and I will go with mine...
I thought you don't have ECs?

..and the plot thickens.

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
you think 'cause you got in, your case must be the standard, true sign of arrogance.
You right, having good EC's is definitely not standard. And yes im very very arrogant because i'm saying that dat&gpa aren't your whole app and other factors play a big part.

Yes your right Bman, your right.

rather you go to dental school or not, good luck
^:laugh: