Reasonable re-take threshold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertypoiuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone's re-take threshold depends on their personal expectations, but at what point do you guys think the threshold becomes irrationally high?

For example, I've been getting 32-35's on the practice FL's and set 29 as my threshold (unfortunately, I will be retaking :( ). I suspect that most people's threshold is also 29.

But for my friend who has been getting 37-42's on all the AAMC full lengths and 39-41 on the Kaplan FL's, do you think 35 is a reasonable re-take threshold (36+ and she will not it) or will most schools think she insane for retaking an already spectacular score?

Members don't see this ad.

I know everyone's re-take threshold depends on their personal expectations, but at what point do you guys think the threshold becomes irrationally high?

For example, I've been getting 32-35's on the practice FL's and set 29 as my threshold (unfortunately, I will be retaking :( ). I suspect that most people's threshold is also 29.

But for my friend who has been getting 37-42's on all the AAMC full lengths and 39-41 on the Kaplan FL's, do you think 35 is a reasonable re-take threshold (36+ and she will not it) or will most schools think she insane for retaking an already spectacular score?

I would show your friend the data for % of people who do worse on a retake with certain scores. I'm pretty sure most people who get 35's do worse the 2nd time around.

Depending on her personal goals and her reason for scoring below her usual, it wouldn't be unheard of to retake it.

Sets off a red flag, especially if she does worse which is what usually happens. Also, once you score high enough, the difference between two scores is insignificant.

Sets off a red flag, especially if she does worse which is what usually happens. Also, once you score high enough, the difference between two scores is insignificant.

Agreed. I feel like anything 35-38 (assuming the scores are balanced) is about the same level. And anything 39+ is a little above that. For me, getting anything above 12 on a section really seems to just boils down to luck.