"Reasonable Salary" for S-Corp

Started by PMRBro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PMRBro

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who have an S-Corp that you pay yourself a "reasonable salary" what is your salary that you report and specialty?

How did you come to this conclusion on what your "reasonable salary" would be from the S-Corp?

I'm at a point where I need to plan to elect S-Corp status and curious what others have done and how they came to that conclusion for that number.

Income for myself is purely 1099 / don't have any other W2 income.
 
For those of you who have an S-Corp that you pay yourself a "reasonable salary" what is your salary that you report and specialty?

How did you come to this conclusion on what your "reasonable salary" would be from the S-Corp?

I'm at a point where I need to plan to elect S-Corp status and curious what others have done and how they came to that conclusion for that number.

Income for myself is purely 1099 / don't have any other W2 income.
No personal experience with this, but I'd imagine lower %ile MGMA numbers would be very reasonable (10-25 maybe?). My first year as an attending at the same place I did residency, I made <25th %ile! Lots of partnership track docs making 10%ile or less. I just think that the lowest paying job you can find, or are aware of, in your specialty can easily be defended in an audit.