1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Reasonable school list advice

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by sha15, Aug 17, 2011.

1. sha15

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys;

I am a masters student in pharmaceutical sciences and applying now. My primary should be verified any day now.

-3.91 undergrad GPA in microbiology, minor chemistry (3.88 bcpm)

-MCAT - 30Q (10,9,11)

-3.54 graduate GPA (13 credit hours only)
    Submitting 1st author review article this month, but probably won't have a research article published until spring

-extracurriculars are standard to above average

Looking for schools to apply for outside of my state school; any input is appreciated

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

With a 3.91/30 (fortunately a masters GPA isn't much regarded) schools you might consider to see if they "fit" your ECs that have a decent OOS matriculation rate:

Rochester, MCW, Miami, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, Loma Linda (requires lifestyle contact), Georgetown, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,
    UKentucky, UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, FIU (13% OOS, but expected to rise), Virginia Tech (newer), Temple, Colorado (prefers 500 hr clinical&nontrads), Albany, GWU,
    Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)
    Wright, Drexel, FAU, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (new in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2

4. Scherbatsky

Pre-Medical
    I'm a Canadian applicant with similar stats. The schools I've applied to are quite OOS friendly and include Einstein, Boston, George Washington, Jefferson, MCW, MSU, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin, SLU, SUNY Upstate, and Wayne State

5. byaaaaaaah23

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, and sorry to detour from the OP's question, but do private schools take into account your residency? IE, does OOS/IS matter to schools like Rochester, Wake, etc that you listed?

6. Scherbatsky

Pre-Medical
    Most of the time private schools do not care about IS/OOS because they don't receive state funding, they just want the most qualified applicants

7. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Rochester and Wake both matriculate > 50% OOSers. That they don't take more may reflect legislative support the comes with a mandate to accept a certain number of instaters, or with applicant bias to stay closer to home.

8. sha15

Pre-Medical
    Alright thanks everyone. I'll look into it