Reasons that make Gas a great residency and career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get some of the pro's and con's to going into Gas. Can some of you list some of the reasons why you chose Gas.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

HEME-ONC said:
I am trying to get some of the pro's and con's to going into Gas. Can some of you list some of the reasons why you chose Gas.
Thanks

1)Intellectually stimulating
2) Patient contact with no clinics
3) Hands on specialty, cool procedures
4) We know how to use pharmacologic agents for hemodynamic manipulation better than anyone else, and feel comfortable doing so
5) The colleague troll-index is low
6)Rounding is minimal
7)We can take care of REALLY sick patients- did a bring-back CABG night before last, pt circling the drain, hypovolemic, acidotic, hypotensive (65/35), tachycardic (130s), came to the OR on dopamine, dobutamine, and epi (I hate MDs that start a bunch of drips at the same time with no rhyme or reason, except that they know the pt needs pharmacologic assistance, instead of picking one drug, maxing out its hemodynamic ability, and THEN opting to start another drug, or switch drugs. This scientific process works alot better than HEY LETS START A BUNCH OF DRIPS AND SCREW WITH THEIR RATES UNTIL WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHATS GOING ON)......We deftly rescuscitated the dude by identifying problems swiftly, one by one, and addressing them. We dropped him off in the ICU 2 hours later, isovolemic, peeing like a Russian racehorse, HCT 30, normal ABG, no base deficit (after 300 mEq NaHCO3 and aggressive ventilation), and hemodynamically stable. Dobutamine off, dopamine reduced, epi reduced.
8) Nice interaction with surgeons, for the most part
9) Great living
10)Plenty of time off for la familia

Yeah, I'd rather be in the Cacos with my hot wife sipping Gin n Juice all day, butta dudes gotta make a living...I can think of alot worse careers.

Amen the multi-drip mindset.

Which leads me to ask...is there a good reason for a patient to be running on NTG and multiple pressors simultaneously? I see this, and I don't get it.

Gator05 said:
Amen the multi-drip mindset.

Which leads me to ask...is there a good reason for a patient to be running on NTG and multiple pressors simultaneously? I see this, and I don't get it.

Some surgeons argue it helps their grafts from spasming. Not so sure I agree with that, since I'm not convinced their freshly-cut-and-replanted-veins respond pharmacologically equivalent to nascent vasculature....but being the astute scientists we all are, someone should do a search and post it....