Reasons to do a preliminary year?

Started by Back34
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Back34

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Certain residencies require a preliminary year (gas, rads, etc.), but under what other circumstances would somebody choose to do a prelim? I ask because I'm a 4th year, having a really difficult time trying to decide which way I want my life to go. Thus, the idea of getting a broad overview of several fields is pretty appealing.

I assume this would also make me a more competitive applicant the following year for, let's say, emergency medicine. Does anybody have any advice/experiences to help enlighten me? Thanks.

Back34
 
One more thing: how competitive is it to land a prelim spot?
 
Do a transitional year over a prelim year...doing a transitional year is easier than doing a prelim year in let's say IM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Back34 said:
One more thing: how competitive is it to land a prelim spot?
Overall, it's not too hard to land a prelim spot. But landing an intern year at a really easy, cush place is going to be competitive because many folks would rather have a cush schedule during intern year if given the choice.
 
Thanks for the reply. Has anybody done a prelim year with the intention of becoming a more competitive applicant the following year; not necessarily for a specialty that actually requires a prelim year (gas, rads, pm&r), but for something like ER, IM, etc? I ask this because I'm currently doing my ER elective and am really taking to it. If I applied for ER this year, I'm pretty sure I'd match somewhere, but I'd much rather stay in the area. My application is average at best, with an ok step I score (224), but I'm realistic about my chances of staying here (major city). Like I said above, I'm sure the year of clinical experience would make me more competitive, but how would I go about seeing this through, e.g., would I apply for the match a second time, how exactly would ER programs feel about this, etc? Thanks again