Reasons you want to attend X school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wackie

Inappropriate, always
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I happened to be thinking about it...

Is where they do clinicals an acceptable reason behind wanting to attend a certain school?

Members don't see this ad.

I happened to be thinking about it...

Is where they do clinicals an acceptable reason behind wanting to attend a certain school?

It can be part of the reason. But not all of it. For instance on some of my apps where pediatric rotations occured at renowned pediatric facilities I mentioned that I found that appealing. But if thats your only reason it won't look good.

yes definently come up with a list. it shouldnt be too hard cause most schools pick a few things about themselves they like to brag about. find those few things and work them!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some other good things to say for specific reasons to attend a particular school. Do people mainly peruse the website for hours on end to find good points :) Just looking for ideas

Ummm... do you guys seriously not know why you applied to a school, beyond it's U.S. News ranking? If you put in some time earlier on you wouldn't be in this dilemma. Anyway, why I applied to most schools (why I actually applied, not just something to say in an interview) is mostly based on unique points in the curriculum, special programs that school is renowned for (ex. Rural Health), and location of rotations (including certain diverse patient population access). Take a good look at the websites, particularly looking at the curriculum.

What are some other good things to say for specific reasons to attend a particular school. Do people mainly peruse the website for hours on end to find good points :) Just looking for ideas

i've actually found reasons to love a school more than i thought i would by looking at their websites, but i chose to apply to schools that i was interested in in the first place.

Well, the reason you applied to a medical school probably is not convincing enough to the adcom, at least that's how I feel in my case. I just want to know what people think are strong points that they will latch on to.