Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
So I received an e-mail today that my app is on hold because my third recommender hasn't submitted the rec. I've e-mailed her and she said she would have it completed Monday, but it's already Wed. Should I wait for her to submit or ask someone else? I think she would write a really good letter, but I don't want more schools to put my app on hold or process with only 2 letters.

Also I could ask someone else so that I would have 4 letters, but Dr. Munroe from SCCO recommended 3 really good letters looks better than 3 good letters and a 4th just ok one. Also, I wouldn't want my app to be MORE on hold for a 4th letter, but I'm not sure if the schools even know I had a 4th letter in waiting?

Jan 6, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
let me tell you something my O.chem TA who i asked to submit a letter delayed it 3 weeks! i would sent him an email to remind him and even went to his lab a few times to remind him and each time he would say 'he's working on it' but never actually submitted it till 3 weeks later!
so i say start by emailing her to remind her and wait a week or so and if she still doesn't then go see her..

but if u can get a better letter from some1 else then ask them instead.

Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
let me tell you something my O.chem TA who i asked to submit a letter delayed it 3 weeks! i would sent him an email to remind him and even went to his lab a few times to remind him and each time he would say 'he's working on it' but never actually submitted it till 3 weeks later!
so i say start by emailing her to remind her and wait a week or so and if she still doesn't then go see her..

but if u can get a better letter from some1 else then ask them instead.

I don't live in the area anymore. I don't want to bother her again because she seemed slightly annoyed when I reminded her last week :/

About the Ads
Sep 11, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I don't live in the area anymore. I don't want to bother her again because she seemed slightly annoyed when I reminded her last week :/

Wait a week and email them again and let them know that the only thing keeping you from having a complete file is their letter ( in a nice way) and that admission is granted on a first come first serve basis. I did that with my letter writer and they felt bad and turned it in that afternoon.

Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Wait a week and email them again and let them know that the only thing keeping you from having a complete file is their letter ( in a nice way) and that admission is granted on a first come first serve basis. I did that with my letter writer and they felt bad and turned it in that afternoon.

Well when she said she would do it Monday, I felt bad and said anyone next week would be ok (I assumed she would still do it monday)....so do you think a 4th letter would hurt me or help me??

Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Well when she said she would do it Monday, I felt bad and said anyone next week would be ok (I assumed she would still do it monday)....so do you think a 4th letter would hurt me or help me??

okay so she STILL hasn't written my rec...should I ask her again? :/ I can't even think of a 4th person to ask, I already have an OD and a professor.

Who did you guys ask besides a prof/OD?

Sep 11, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
okay so she STILL hasn't written my rec...should I ask her again? :/ I can't even think of a 4th person to ask, I already have an OD and a professor.

Who did you guys ask besides a prof/OD?
I got my professional school advisor to write me one.

Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Another professor maybe? Also kindly remind her that she did agree to write to a letter, and that way if you get both, 4 can only help you. I had 4.

The professor I thought I would have asked left the school...and i don't have his new email address. I emailed another professor and she was honest and said she didn't know me well enough. I feel so stuck. I'm getting all these notifications saying my application is ON HOLD :(

The professor I thought I would have asked left the school...and i don't have his new email address. I emailed another professor and she was honest and said she didn't know me well enough. I feel so stuck. I'm getting all these notifications saying my application is ON HOLD :(

Is there maybe an employer or club advisor? It doesn't have to be opto related, they can just say you are a good leader, punctual, etc. You have the science prof and OD which are the required, the 3rd is kind of your option.

Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Is there maybe an employer or club advisor? It doesn't have to be opto related, they can just say you are a good leader, punctual, etc. You have the science prof and OD which are the required, the 3rd is kind of your option.

I'm not sure if this would hurt me...but I was in girl scouts for like 10 years, do you think I could ask my girl scout leader? I just worry that it will look like she's a family friend and that it was in high school...=/

Soccerjoe

Twinkle Toes
Jan 3, 2011
BYU
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I'm not sure if this would hurt me...but I was in girl scouts for like 10 years, do you think I could ask my girl scout leader? I just worry that it will look like she's a family friend and that it was in high school...=/
Hmmmm, I wouldn't use your girl scout leader but that's just me. It sounds like optometry schools don't like anything high school-related. But, if she can write you a good letter and you're ok with it, then go for it. This is assuming you can't find anyone else that has known you more recently.

Sep 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hmmmm, I wouldn't use your girl scout leader but that's just me. It sounds like optometry schools don't like anything high school-related. But, if she can write you a good letter and you're ok with it, then go for it. This is assuming you can't find anyone else that has known you more recently.

Ya I sent the person I originally wanted a last e-mail pleading for her to write the letter...so if she doesn't get back to me then I'll have to ask my girl scout leader, i tried emailing other professors but they said they didn't know me well enough. the other professor i knew really well decided to move to Korea and hasn't responded to my emails :/

Mar 13, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I have a question. Can we replace the requirement for the LOR to written by a professor with e.g a teacher for a Kaplan course?

Jun 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
StarieNight: I don't think so. Most schools tell you it has to be from professors you took course with. Kaplan teachers are most likely not professors, most are students themselves from what I have seen.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.