Rec Letter Differences from MD apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted927298

For MDPhD, do you also need to provide 2 rec letters from Math or Science Faculty and at least 1 from Nonscience faculty in addition to all the rec letters from Research PIs?

I took coursework in the biomedical sciences with some of my PI's so their rec letters will be reflective of both my performance in classroom and in the Lab.

Should we get a rec letter from a MD that we shadowed in the clinics but did not perform research with them?

And how many are the usual? I will probably submit around 5 recommendation letters for MDPhD apps. Is this too little?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The grade is the performance in the classroom. For MD/PhD, the more valuable letters are from research PIs, which can be supplemented with the post-doc who supervised you directly. We expect a LOR from each PI who supervise you for longer than a summer experience. If you only have summer experiences, then each of those PIs. A single letter from a shadowing MD is helpful.

Research PI's should comment on your critical thinking skills and potential as a graduate student and/or clinician-scientist.

Reactions: 1 user