Rec Letters

Started by deleted388502
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted388502

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a point of curiosity from people's own personal experiences, at a big state school, who did you get your letter of recs from in the sciences?

I go to a huge state school and to my professors office hours. My gen chem and ochem profs know me by name, but I'm just in the sea of 40-50 other pre-meds in that semester alone that the professor will remember. The rec letter's won't be particularly oustanding and this concerns me.

Obviously within my major and through other classes I have rec letters, but I'm just curious as to how would be best to approach these kinds of situations? I don't just want a generic letter of rec, but I feel like it's impossible from pre-req profs at big state schools.
 
I too, am very worried.
I think I've read somewhere that you can approach a professor (that you somewhat know) and be like "Hi, I don't feel comfortable asking you for a letter yet but could I talk to you about my motivations for medicine blah blah"
Has anyone done this before haha I'm a shy person..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to one of the biggest public schools in the country and got letters from professors that I got to know personally in the course and I met with on a weekly basis. I never discussed my motivations for going into medicine with my professors, and I did not ask them for a letter of recommendation until after I had completed their courses. What you are describing sounds awkward, in my opinion, unless you already have a great relationship with your professor.

My recommendation is to seek letters from professors in smaller courses, like upper-division lab classes, rather than lower-division huge lecture classes. I feel like professors who run lab or research-oriented courses have more valuable stuff to comment on, anyway, in terms of your candidacy for pursuing medicine from an academic standpoint.