Rec Reading for First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has all been asked before, sorry for sclerosing the interwebs.

Any recommended books for incoming first year residents? I'm talking about a book:

1. that can realistically be read from start to finish
2. provides a very general foundation
3. not just a normal histology textbook
4. maybe has some CP tie-ins
5. intended for residents and not med students
6. not a reference book or overly detailed

Perhaps no one book meets all these criteria, but I'll see.

Also what are the main board prep books? I've seen books for every other speciality but see nothing for path except med student books like Goljan, etc. Is path just too extensive to have it's own "First Aid" style book?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

get the molavi text. doesn't fit all your criteria (but close - no CP stuff), but definitely something every pgy1 path resident should have/read.

for ap board prep, the lefkowitch question book was something i found helpful, along with the hopkins surg path and cytology unknowns that are online. also the sternberg surg path review book.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few threads dancing around this topic, but I think if the book you're describing existed, residents would slay one another and most of their own families to get a copy. That said, although I have never used it, I've heard good things about the Molavi text. The trade-off is almost always very simply "too little" vs "too much", between basic texts that only -might- be beyond medical school/Robbins level but don't really get you to pathology boards level, and reference texts that just aren't particularly readable and/or throw voluminous details at you that you'll -only- ever need for boards or some pimping session.

Read Sternberg or Rosai, your pick. Don't fret because you don't understand every little nuance on the first read-through, you will retain things that will be useful and reinforced by your case experience. The Molavi book is good for concepts and is worth reading, but doesn't have enough detail even for a first-year resident.

Usual disclaimers, personal opinions only, your mileage may vary, yada yada. Good luck!

Molavi and Wash Manual for AP and Clinical Compendium for CP.