Received an acceptance this AM but unable to cancel MCAT retake tomorrow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Applied to the 2019-2020 cycle with a 503. Received interviews but no acceptances through the spring and decided to apply again after an MCAT retake- scheduled for tomorrow. Today my top choice offered me an acceptance to this year's class, starting in about a week, based on last year's application and score. There's no reason for me to retake the MCAT now but the last official day I could cancel was 07/15. I called AAMC and have been on hold for 20 minutes. Thought maybe someone here could tell me if there's a best way to avoid sitting for this exam. I need to drive cross country to this school in a couple days, so I need every hour I can get to get my affairs in order. Can I no-show or show up, rush through each section w/o answering questions and then void the results? Could either of these decisions haunt me later?

UPDATE: AAMC let me cancel with a refund :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!
Applied to the 2019-2020 cycle with a 503. Received interviews but no acceptances through the spring and decided to apply again after an MCAT retake- scheduled for tomorrow. Today my top choice offered me an acceptance to this year's class, starting in about a week, based on last year's application and score. There's no reason for me to retake the MCAT now but the last official day I could cancel was 07/15. I called AAMC and have been on hold for 20 minutes. Thought maybe someone here could tell me if there's a best way to avoid sitting for this exam. I need to drive cross country to this school in a couple days, so I need every hour I can get to get my affairs in order. Can I no-show or show up, rush through each section w/o answering questions and then void the results? Could either of these decisions haunt me later?

Just don't go. It will count towards your testing limits, but you never need to take it again. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
@aimstosneeze congrats on your acceptance! Curious if it’s a DO school and also what if anything you did to help get accepted off the waitlist (Email of continued interest?)

Members don't see this ad :)
@aimstosneeze congrats on your acceptance! Curious if it’s a DO school and also what if anything you did to help get accepted off the waitlist (Email of continued interest?)
Thank you! It's a D.O. school; I applied all D.O. because the missions aligned with my interests (primary care in underserved areas) and I hoped the holistic review would work in my favor as a lower-stat applicant with a somewhat unconventional background. This particular school doesn't accept updates or letters of interest/intent so I played the waiting game.

If I could give any advice to my former self though, it would be to wait until I had enough money to feel financially stable while studying for the MCAT and applying properly as if it's my full-time job. Some of my applications were rushed and I scored my 503 after 60 hours of study time. I was scoring 507s on AAMC FLs after about 150 hours of study time. It's not impressive by SDN standards but that score difference would have transformed my average DO app into a strong one.

If the school does receive updates, I would say (paradoxically) not to listen to everything you read here. Evaluate your app critically next to the mission statement of the schools you most want to attend and see if you can beef up activities they care about. For example, I realized that although I had interesting service projects on my app, I had little documented time with underserved populations, which is often emphasized by missions at DO school. Stay in contact with people who work for the school to get a sense of what they want to see. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user