Received NSF GRFP this week.. Options during Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BiomedEngineerMD

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am BME major graduating this May and was planning a gap year at Broad or Buck etc. continuing my research that I started as Valedictorian in high school. At Columbia, I have been conducting lab research since Freshman in diabetes/osteoarthritis with multiple presentations (ORS) and publications...Last summer, I interned at JHU in Kidney research.

I plan to apply for MD-PhD and was just awarded NSF GRFP- I was not planning graduate school ( and hence never applied) but Fellowship requires joining graduate program ( MS or MS-PhD)..

Is NSF-GRFP prestigious enough to pursue MS at Columbia ( my advisor has offered me to join) or other prestigious school ( will help me at top MD-PhD) program or I join Buck or Broad etc. bio research institutions..

Bottomline pluses/negative of NSF GRFP Fellowship for MS- I have a strong 3.9 GPA with 4.0 plus in BME department..
 
Last edited: