Receiving a "W" on transcript after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n2k21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Spring semester, I am currently taking one class at a community college to fulfill my last prerequisite for UCSF. However - since I'm going to be attending UW, I don't need to take this class anymore (my prerequisite status is complete at UW).

Do you guys think it's ok if I drop the course and get a "W" on my transcript? I already talked to the admissions committee and she said "yes it's okay to Withdraw the course since it is not a prerequisite for our program", though on the phone she was encouraging me to continue taking the class to help prepare me for pharm school.

Despite her email, I'm still nervous - what if they rescind their admissions offer because it makes it seem like I can't follow through with something (or idk). I've heard of someone who got accepted into a school, but then got denied admission after he had a more lenient attitude about his classes after.

Am I being overly-nervous about dropping this course and getting a W?

(Also to take into note - probably might not do too well in this class (~low B) because I've missed so many classes and two exams because I was traveling back and forth for interviews).

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would finish it out. You signed up for the class with the intent on finishing it, and I would keep going. You're not only wasting money by withdrawing, but you're also wasting your time that you've already put into the class. A low B isn't bad. And in pharmacy school, it's not like your pre-req GPA matters anyway unless you're going to pursue another degree that requires those classes.

I was taking a class for another school but decided to go to another school that didn't require that class so I dropped. First W. Don't worry about it