Recent articles about translational research and physician-scientist training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Point-Counterpoint
Medical Scientist Training Programs: A Modest Proposal to Eliminate Federal Funding in Favor of Individual Fellowships
Clayton Wiley
Acad Med 2010

Medical Scientist Training Programs: Federal Funding Offers Support and Drives Innovation
Olaf Anderson and Kerry O'Banion
Acad Med 2010

Translating cancer research into targeted therapeutics
J. S. de Bonojohann & Alan Ashworth
Nature 467 pg 543-549, 30 September 2010

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The Urgent Need to Increase Support for the NIH's MD–PhD Student Fellowships
Samarasinghe, Ranmal Aloka
http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...Need_to_Increase_Support_for_the_NIH_s.9.aspx

Reply from Brass, Andersen, Akabas
http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...eed_to_Increase_Support_for_the_NIH_s.10.aspx

Interesting read.

I'm becoming of the opinion that there is a fixed number of positions that are of value to our overall interests. If too many positions become available, they will attract/fill with less-than-desirable candidates who will not have the opportunity or motivation for success. Why not accept an MSTP position, even if you are not totally committed to a research career? At worst you get 2 free years of medical school.
Keeping the number low and making entry competitive assures that only the best candidates are given positions, and also clears the way for them to have less competition later on for faculty positions and grants.

/Not sure I really believe the above, but it's an interesting position.

Interesting read.

If too many positions become available, they will attract/fill with less-than-desirable candidates who will not have the opportunity or motivation for success.

Attrition rates might increase if there is a dramatic increase in MSTP positions. I think the 2-4/5-2 model was partly to make students honest. It's very hard distinguishing the 99th vs. 99.9th vs. 95th percentile in terms of their possibility for future success so I would give more people a chance at a physician scientist career rather than less. I have a hard time predicting how my rats would behave already...

Having a smaller number of MSTP students probably serves as a seal of approval to outsiders who cannot judge people's research abilities. It's probably more impressive being MD/PhD if there's only 100 graduates per year vs. 2000.

Last edited:
It's very hard distinguishing the 99th vs. 99.9th vs. 95th percentile in terms of their possibility for future success so I would give more people a chance at a physician scientist career rather than less. I have a hard time predicting how my rats would behave already...

But, there ARE other ways to become a physician scientist; I suppose then that the MSTP is to improve the career outlooks for those who know early enough that they want to be one?

Having a smaller number of MSTP students probably serves as a seal of approval to outsiders who cannot judge people's research abilities. It's probably more impressive being MD/PhD if there's only 100 graduates per year vs. 2000.

I'd be careful about saying this because it really seems like non-MD/PhDs are really dubious about the research ability of MD/PhDs. Like they'd be much better researchers if they had just focused on the PhD.

I was reminded of an article by Andrew Schafer's book that has not been posted here:

Educating Future Leaders of Medical Research: Analysis of Student Opinions and Goals from the MD-PhD SAGE (Students' Attitudes, Goals, and Education) Survey

Ahn, Jaimo MD, PhD; Watt, Christopher D. MD, PhD; Man, Li-Xing MD, MSc; Greeley, Siri Atma W. MD, PhD; Shea, Judy A. PhD

http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...ng_Future_Leaders_of_Medical_Research_.3.aspx

Interesting tidbits:
Overall, 120 (24.4%) respondents responded yes to the question, Have you ever seriously considered leaving your MD-PhD program?

The highest satisfaction was during the first stage of training (pre-grad school, 2.19), was lowest during the thesis stage (2.94, P < .01 compared with pre-grad school), and then rose slightly by program completion

These differences represented an almost 30% decrease in medical residency interest, a more than twofold increase in lifestyle interest, and a nearly threefold increase in surgical interest between the first and last stages of MD-PhD training.

However, by current definitions, 44%, or almost one half of respondents, indicated that they do not wish to become physician-scientists because they do not wish to perform research as their primary professional activity.

I disagree. The only "seal of approval" for research abilities is your publication record. Nothing else matters.

The biggest (only?) advantage for the MD/PhD is the free medical school ride. And it's the reason of course why it's so competitive and the pool is small.