recent dental school entry testimonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preDDSmarilyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have any testimonies, success stories, or stories about how they had all odds against them or some pretty unique issues - ACADEMICALLY that they thought would prohibit them from being given a chance to enter dental school?

just wanted to know anything, perhaps to make myself feel better and a few ot other people who have mediocre grades or academic backgrounds.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That thread isn't very inspiring lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
First semester undergrad gpa: 2.18

Second semester undegrad gpa: 1.88

Dropped out of school 3rd and 4th semester.

Came back and hovered around a 3.1 gpa for 3 years.

My last 4 semesters (~50 hrs upper level bio) : 4.0

First DAT: 17AA

Second DAT: 18AA

Third DAT: 23AA

After my second DAT, I thought I was supposed to accept my fate as being a ~18AA student. During my last semester of post bacc, I took a class with a kid who made a 21AA, got into Tufts, and he was basically failing this incredibly difficult class while I was pulling all A's. I told myself that there was no way in hell that this kid can make a 21 and I can't at least match him. Needless to say, he (unknowingly) provided me the spark to attempt my DAT for the 3rd time. This is my 3rd app cycle, and I had my first two ever dental school interviews already. All I can do now is pray and :xf:. I didn't listen to anyone (friends, family, counselors) who told me to give up on dentistry. I am hell bent on getting in. This entire journey could have been much shorter, but I decided to take the scenic route. :D

Reactions: 1 user
First semester undergrad gpa: 2.18

Second semester undegrad gpa: 1.88

Dropped out of school 3rd and 4th semester.

Came back and hovered around a 3.1 gpa for 3 years.

My last 4 semesters (~50 hrs upper level bio) : 4.0

First DAT: 17AA

Second DAT: 18AA

Third DAT: 23AA

After my second DAT, I thought I was supposed to accept my fate as being a ~18AA student. During my last semester of post bacc, I took a class with a kid who made a 21AA, got into Tufts, and he was basically failing this incredibly difficult class while I was pulling all A's. I told myself that there was no way in hell that this kid can make a 21 and I can't at least match him. Needless to say, he (unknowingly) provided me the spark to attempt my DAT for the 3rd time. This is my 3rd app cycle, and I had my first two ever dental school interviews already. All I can do now is pray and :xf:. I didn't listen to anyone (friends, family, counselors) who told me to give up on dentistry. I am hell bent on getting in. This entire journey could have been much shorter, but I decided to take the scenic route. :D

damn, talk about inspirational.

my story is kind of sick. ill post it here if i get in this cycle.

Dang - nice job Houston - you rock. How did you pull your DAT up that high? I'm kinda like you in that I dropped out of college to join the military and have returned to do well. But my overall gpa still isnt as great as I would like. I feel like I need a solid DAT but when I studied last summer I was only able to pull it up to a 18-19AA (top score practice tests). I never took it b/c I am applying next cycle. How did you go from 18 to your sweet scores?

I hope you get in this year.

way to go Houston! i'm very hopeful for you! let us know how it all pans out (which school you decide on going to next fall!)