Oct 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
anybody have any testimonies, success stories, or stories about how they had all odds against them or some pretty unique issues - ACADEMICALLY that they thought would prohibit them from being given a chance to enter dental school?

just wanted to know anything, perhaps to make myself feel better and a few ot other people who have mediocre grades or academic backgrounds.

thanks

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
That thread isn't very inspiring lol.

HoustonDAT

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2008
Status
Dental Student
First semester undergrad gpa: 2.18

Second semester undegrad gpa: 1.88

Dropped out of school 3rd and 4th semester.

Came back and hovered around a 3.1 gpa for 3 years.

My last 4 semesters (~50 hrs upper level bio) : 4.0

First DAT: 17AA

Second DAT: 18AA

Third DAT: 23AA

After my second DAT, I thought I was supposed to accept my fate as being a ~18AA student. During my last semester of post bacc, I took a class with a kid who made a 21AA, got into Tufts, and he was basically failing this incredibly difficult class while I was pulling all A's. I told myself that there was no way in hell that this kid can make a 21 and I can't at least match him. Needless to say, he (unknowingly) provided me the spark to attempt my DAT for the 3rd time. This is my 3rd app cycle, and I had my first two ever dental school interviews already. All I can do now is pray and :xf:. I didn't listen to anyone (friends, family, counselors) who told me to give up on dentistry. I am hell bent on getting in. This entire journey could have been much shorter, but I decided to take the scenic route. :D

Reactions: BigPat91

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
First semester undergrad gpa: 2.18

Second semester undegrad gpa: 1.88

Dropped out of school 3rd and 4th semester.

Came back and hovered around a 3.1 gpa for 3 years.

My last 4 semesters (~50 hrs upper level bio) : 4.0

First DAT: 17AA

Second DAT: 18AA

Third DAT: 23AA

After my second DAT, I thought I was supposed to accept my fate as being a ~18AA student. During my last semester of post bacc, I took a class with a kid who made a 21AA, got into Tufts, and he was basically failing this incredibly difficult class while I was pulling all A's. I told myself that there was no way in hell that this kid can make a 21 and I can't at least match him. Needless to say, he (unknowingly) provided me the spark to attempt my DAT for the 3rd time. This is my 3rd app cycle, and I had my first two ever dental school interviews already. All I can do now is pray and :xf:. I didn't listen to anyone (friends, family, counselors) who told me to give up on dentistry. I am hell bent on getting in. This entire journey could have been much shorter, but I decided to take the scenic route. :D
damn, talk about inspirational.

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Dang - nice job Houston - you rock. How did you pull your DAT up that high? I'm kinda like you in that I dropped out of college to join the military and have returned to do well. But my overall gpa still isnt as great as I would like. I feel like I need a solid DAT but when I studied last summer I was only able to pull it up to a 18-19AA (top score practice tests). I never took it b/c I am applying next cycle. How did you go from 18 to your sweet scores?

I hope you get in this year.

hopefulDMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
way to go Houston! i'm very hopeful for you! let us know how it all pans out (which school you decide on going to next fall!)