Recent Grad Guidance Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gocanesjp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a worn out story but this is the best place I could think of to look for guidance. I feel like I'm lost or maybe lost my spark and I would greatly appreciate some advice. I just graduated from University of Miami with degrees in neurobiology and ancient classical civilizations and of course a chem minor. They have this weird new system so the only GPA I know is my overall at 3.013. I took the MCAT last summer and got a 27, not bad but not great I guess. I did research in school under a professor and on my own and presented two projects in a neurosensory lab for a year and I have shadowed several times. I also held leadership positions in several premed focused groups in school and led a group in a teaching event for three years where we taught young children about neuroscience. I had a tough time in school due to monetary stress, family illnesses, and a harsh bout of depression. Even the night before I took the MCAT I had to stay out all night for a family emergency. I had an extremely negative advisor until my senior year and it really crushed my preparation for med school. Now that I've told my sob story I do know that med schools do not take excuses and I need to push myself to move forward.

I had intended to pursue a career in neurosurgery, but after spending time with and shadowing neurosurgeons I have come to the realization that the lifestyle just would not suit me. I really am passionate when it comes helping people and medicine and especially the way people think and how the brain works. I took some time to help my family move and move myself up from Miami but now I feel stuck. I have lots of family in the medical field and they say my grades and scores are good enough to get me in to med school, but being in the elite program I graduated from all my friends had 4.0+ GPAs and 34+ MCATs and went straight to med school so I don't feel like I am a good enough candidate on paper.

I liked doing research and I liked shadowing at a hospital but I just don't know where to go from here. I liked the idea of going in to hospital protocol or management at the federal level for a while. I was considering DO school for dermatology as well. My plan after graduation was to apply to the recent graduate program and trying to work for NIH, but I was told that it could really restrict any possible career growth. Now I'm stuck. I live in an area where I could commute to Philly, Baltimore, or DC without much trouble, but I just don't know how to get started again. I've read about post bac classes, pre-medical masters programs, masters of science, volunteering and all that stuff, but I don't have any idea what a good direction to start would be. Everything has such mixed reviews and I don't want to commit to more student loans for classes if they aren't going to help me. I'm just looking for a little guidance or inspiration to hep me move on.

Thank you so much for any help!!!

Members don't see this ad.