Recent graduate looking for dermatology research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbeeMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a recent graduate from an allopathic MD program hoping to participate in some research projects in dermatology. I have contacted the department at my school, but at this time, they do not have any projects available.

Could anyone please give me their advice on getting connected with possible research opportunities without completing a fellowship/research year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're doing literature-type research, it's probably going to be tough to find something without being involved via an 'official' research position.

As med students/residents/fellows individuals fall under the institutions research and patient interaction policies. Any type of patient centered research may be hard to do without that connection.

If I was in your position, I suppose I would contact program coordinators, explain my situation, and see if they could give me some direction. If you have any specialized talents such as data analysis (statistical knowledge), that would be very helpful to mention since you could get involved in projects, but not have direct patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you're doing literature-type research, it's probably going to be tough to find something without being involved via an 'official' research position.

As med students/residents/fellows individuals fall under the institutions research and patient interaction policies. Any type of patient centered research may be hard to do without that connection.

If I was in your position, I suppose I would contact program coordinators, explain my situation, and see if they could give me some direction. If you have any specialized talents such as data analysis (statistical knowledge), that would be very helpful to mention since you could get involved in projects, but not have direct patient contact.

Thank you so much for the advice Dral. Much appreciated.

At this point, I am mainly looking for literature based research like case reports, lit reviews, etc.

How would I go about getting involved? Would I randomly email staff across the country?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be honest, most staff might be at least mildly annoyed with cold emails from a recent grad who wasn't a student related to their institution.

I'd say the best strategy may be to contact program coordinators. They usually are aware of their faculty who tend to do more research or may have something you could help with.

Thanks Dral. That's a great idea, actually. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Mount Sinai in NYC used to fill a lot of their resident slots from research fellows. I would contact them since they used to have a long and storied history of research fellowships

Mount Sinai in NYC used to fill a lot of their resident slots from research fellows. I would contact them since they used to have a long and storied history of research fellowships

Thanks so much Skindoc!

Status
Not open for further replies.