Recent Minnesota Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wax n Relax

Triple Cocktail & Dreams
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would shed some light on Minnesota's program because I see a lot of this school vs. this school questions right now. I graduated in May so i would think my experiences are still accurate. I cannot tell you how other programs are, but this is what my experience was like. Overall, very pleased with where i went. I felt pretty confident in my clinical skills when I left. You will receive a well rounded education both didactically and clinically. I cared more about the clinical aspect when I was looking into schools because honestly that is about the only thing that matters when you graduate. Yes a solid foundation is necessary, but you actually start learning when you work on patients. Spoiler alert: the fancy simulation clinic with the computer tracking and what not is a complete waste of money and time in my opinion. Do not go there just because of that. The pre-clinic lab is nice though. Things are changing and will change in the future though due to the new Dean. The dean wants to improve clinical exposure and has proposed some pretty good goals for the upcoming years. There wasnt a shortage of patients when I was there and I dont see that happening in the future. Downfalls: tuition is not the cheapest. Another point to consider is that all of the specialties are available at the school. This is both good and bad. You have to fight a little more to keep involved cases from going to the residents, but at the same time you get exposure to the faculty in these specialties. As far as specializing, it doesnt matter what school you go to. If you want to specialize you just have to work hard. My class was super laid back and we all had a great time. We all shared patients with each other if someone needed a competency or were lacking in a particular encounter. Good luck with your decisions. Im so glad im done with school though. Have fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought I would shed some light on Minnesota's program because I see a lot of this school vs. this school questions right now. I graduated in May so i would think my experiences are still accurate. I cannot tell you how other programs are, but this is what my experience was like. Overall, very pleased with where i went. I felt pretty confident in my clinical skills when I left. You will receive a well rounded education both didactically and clinically. I cared more about the clinical aspect when I was looking into schools because honestly that is about the only thing that matters when you graduate. Yes a solid foundation is necessary, but you actually start learning when you work on patients. Spoiler alert: the fancy simulation clinic with the computer tracking and what not is a complete waste of money and time in my opinion. Do not go there just because of that. The pre-clinic lab is nice though. Things are changing and will change in the future though due to the new Dean. The dean wants to improve clinical exposure and has proposed some pretty good goals for the upcoming years. There wasnt a shortage of patients when I was there and I dont see that happening in the future. Downfalls: tuition is not the cheapest. Another point to consider is that all of the specialties are available at the school. This is both good and bad. You have to fight a little more to keep involved cases from going to the residents, but at the same time you get exposure to the faculty in these specialties. As far as specializing, it doesnt matter what school you go to. If you want to specialize you just have to work hard. My class was super laid back and we all had a great time. We all shared patients with each other if someone needed a competency or were lacking in a particular encounter. Good luck with your decisions. Im so glad im done with school though. Have fun.

I'm more worried about increase in tuition if anything lol

Thanks a lot for typing this up for us. Much appreciated. Its nice to know the opinions of a recent grad regarding various aspects of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for posting it was very informative. Can you give us an estimate of how much the tuition increases were from D1 to D4? last year it went from 53000 to 59000 for non-resident and it seems like a 6000 increase is quite a bit in one year.

Thanks for posting it was very informative. Can you give us an estimate of how much the tuition increases were from D1 to D4? last year it went from 53000 to 59000 for non-resident and it seems like a 6000 increase is quite a bit in one year.

I paid in-state tuition so I cannot quote on out of state, but here is my tuition:

2008 Fall ~11,000 2009 Spring 11,000 2009 Summer 5,000
2009 Fall ~12,000 2010 Spring 12,000 2010 Summer 6,300
2010 Fall ~13,000 2011 Spring 13,000 2011 Summer 7,000
2011 Fall 14,300 2012 Spring 14,300

First Year 27,000
Second Year 30,300
Third 33,000
Fourth 28,600

This is strictly tuition. Other fees are applied (university fees, instrument fees, etc.). I took out max loans as an in-state and graduated with around $280,000 in debt. Not sure what is in store for the school in the upcoming years regarding tuition, but that's what it was like when i was there.

I paid in-state tuition so I cannot quote on out of state, but here is my tuition:

2008 Fall ~11,000 2009 Spring 11,000 2009 Summer 5,000
2009 Fall ~12,000 2010 Spring 12,000 2010 Summer 6,300
2010 Fall ~13,000 2011 Spring 13,000 2011 Summer 7,000
2011 Fall 14,300 2012 Spring 14,300

First Year 27,000
Second Year 30,300
Third 33,000
Fourth 28,600

This is strictly tuition. Other fees are applied (university fees, instrument fees, etc.). I took out max loans as an in-state and graduated with around $280,000 in debt. Not sure what is in store for the school in the upcoming years regarding tuition, but that's what it was like when i was there.

You were in state and graduated with 280k debt? The tuition you stated adds up to about 120k, is it that expensive to live in Minn? Or maybe that includes your undergrad debt too...

anyhow a question: I will be graduating with a 280k debt too so I was wondering if you reckon its worth it if you end up being a general dentist? I know your in residency but say for a general dentist?

You were in state and graduated with 280k debt? The tuition you stated adds up to about 120k, is it that expensive to live in Minn? Or maybe that includes your undergrad debt too...

anyhow a question: I will be graduating with a 280k debt too so I was wondering if you reckon its worth it if you end up being a general dentist? I know your in residency but say for a general dentist?

Don't forget about instruments, fees, living, and rolling interest. I can't speak for the OP but that's likely what it's all from.

I took out the full amount of loans offered each year, which was around 60,000-63,000. This was for school and living expenses. Minneapolis is somewhat expensive, but I liked living in a nice area and a nice apartment. I could have taken out less loan money, but I liked having a good time in dental school. As for your question regarding being 280k in debt and being a general dentist: I think it is plenty feasible pending many factors though. I think a large factor is demand for a dentist. Many people want to make a bunch of money AND only practice in a specific location. Some places are so saturated, but people insist on trying to make it there. My advice is to keep an open mind and really do your research on where you are considering practicing.

Great advice for those considering UMN. I'd also like to add that the school is very organized and takes good care of their students.