recent news from the WPAHS program

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Trisomy13, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just as an update, not meant to start another disastrous thread full of rumors and speculation but... got this in my ERAS box this morning:

"There has been a sudden change in leadership in the Anesthesiology Department and I will not have the anesthesiologists available to interview you. We are scheduling another date, Saturday, January 21, 2006, to interview. Let us know if you are interested in coming in on that date. I do have a few openings available for January 7 and January 14, 2006. Again, we are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you and we will reimburse you for any expenses you have accured."

Just from working within the WPAHS system, I can only guess that this will be a good thing for the program after the initial bumps and wrinkles are smoothed over. The people in both hospitals are friendly and happy to be there for the most part, and the surgery caseload is deep and diverse. Here's to hoping this is a step in the direction of making another strong and reputable program in the Pittsburgh area.

2. DenRock

DenRock Oxygen Addict
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just curious - who wrote the above to you?

3. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

The return address e-mail was Joan Randal. When I contacted them in the afternoon the only date left was Jan 21st, when I won't be in town. So I got wait-listed for another day, which I thought was pretty lousy of them, seeing how I worked with the Dept over at AGH and got my LOR from them. They canceled on me - I feel like I should be given more than one date to choose from for rescheduling, being local and affiliated with the program. :p

4. sevensandeights

sevensandeights Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

The existing group of attendings is going to be out as of 2/1/06 and they are currently putting together a replacement staff. The program director at Mercy Hospital has been hired to be the new program director and head of the department at West Penn. A former chair at UPMC Shadyside will be second in command.

They also have a new chair and vice-chair at AGH, both of which came from the existing group of attendings.

Trisomy - I would get in contact with one of the residents you worked with at AGH and have him/her put in a good word for you with Joan Randal to help secure another interview date.