Recent SJSM Graduate

Started by B1GM0N3Y86
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

B1GM0N3Y86

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am a recent graduate of SJSM (Long Live Bonaire) myself, and have found quite a few truthful as well as false threads on many of the forums about the school. I am going to try and give you all information regarding the school and things one may go through in the entire process. Yes, it is a real school lol.

Schooling on an island is definitely a different experience than anything you've ever experienced. I tried for two years matriculating into a US MD/DO school to no avail, and found SJSM by mistake. I didn't have great MCAT scores and didn't know anything about Caribbean Schools, so I only applied to one school, SJSM. The education I found at the school is average at best, and at times mediocre. However, one should expect that with the tuition costs compared to US Medical Schools ranging from 20-40k/semester. Some professors will be very easy to approach, will take time out to help explain things better to you after classes, and some won't. The available resources are not going to be on par with US Schools, but once again, you should expect that.

While being on the island, you will become very close with your classmates. If you have the desire, you and your classmates will study daily instead of cramming a few days before your block exams. You can study at your apartments, at a study house, coffee shop, or even the beach. Heck, I transformed from studying in my apartment to a beach learner by MD3. You have to make the best of it. You have to take a day off out of the week and relax. As long as your keeping up with your work throughout the week, you'll be fine for the exams. I started with 35 students in MD1, and left the island with I believe 24.

Once in Chicago, you'll most likely miss the island. Almost all of us did. It's normal. 5th semester I have heard they improved, but I didn't care for it. I thought the first 8 weeks (book work) were the only thing that helped. The second 8 weeks were utter useless, you don't have the required knowledge yet to fully grasp clinical sciences if your studying for your basic sciences board. At least I didn't, maybe you'll be different. But, usually most students think 5th semester is pointless.

I did take an additional 7 months to take Step I, whereas newer students now seem like they only take about 5 months (maybe the teaching is improved). I passed, didn't score great great, but did okay (however it was okay by me, I only really ever wanted FM or possibly IM). I used Kaplan mostly, never touched First AID (would suggest it tho), and definitely cover UWORLD 3x and your NBMEs.

Clinical Sciences were much more enjoyable, however you'll make all new friends because most of your classmates from island will be on different timelines with their exams. I did my cores at JPH, however some do some at Mercy. Not the best hospital, def a lower tiered hospital, but you learned what you could. Electives were at MetroSouth, Mercy, JPH, Thorek Hospital. All decent hospitals. Took CK (did okay, nothing great) after 3rd year, and CS at end of 4th year (don't recommend, do it sooner for residency app season).

Now looking back on it all, if you made it this far lol, the process will change how you think. From basic sciences to clinicals, it'll be about what you put into it. The professors are not going to push you, they shouldn't have to. You will have a third to half of your initial class that went to med school because they just woke up one day and said why not, others will be like me who tried and couldn't get in anywhere. The school will weed the ones who actually want to become a MD, and if the school doesn't, the USMLE will. To my recollection, out of the 24 that got off the island 3 years ago with me, only about 11 or 12 passed Step 1.

About residency, I myself applied to about 37 states. Yes, NY you can do residency in unless you did more than 12 weeks of rotations in NY. If you don't believe me, DYOR, you can. I initially applied in 2015 match, without being ECFMG certified and was awaiting my CS results, I had an IV in FM at end of the season but didn't match. What I did for the year off, worked for money and did some observerships at a FM clinic to show more interest in FM. Applied for '16 match, had 4 IVs, all FM, matched at my top program (entering class of 3 AMG's 2 DO's and 3 IMG's).

Looking back on it all, I suggest a few things. One, study on the island daily, but party on fri/sat nights, heck I did. Two, enjoy the island life while your there. While in 5th semester, study kaplan lecture notes instead or reputable step 1 books. Do CK prior to CS but have both done in time for app season. ECFMG certified makes a heck of a difference, PD's told me the same on my IV trails. I would suggest to score much higher than initially was told to me 5 years ago. Nowadays, I have seen plenty of IMGs not getting matched in IM or even FM with scores of 220/225/pass, its not the norm, but it happens.

Also, I would only recommend going the caribbean route if this is something you truly need to do. The statistics are getting worse each passing year in the match. Yes, 52% matched, but those are the ones that had a rank order list. If you account for all IMGs (ones who ranked and ones who dropped out of match---- didnt get an IV so did not have a ROL) the match rate drops to 40%. Thats low, when taken into consideration that you will probably start in MD1 with 50 students, get off island with 30, have 15-20 pass all board exams and then have roughly 6-10 get a Residency. Those are just the stats, 10-20% of the students entering MD1 will actually be practicing physicians, the rest will be doing sales/waitress/office/teacher/etc.... So keep those odds in mind when thinking about this choice. It can pay off, but if it doesn't your going to pay quite the amount of money to find out it didn't.

Thank you for your time if your read through all of this. I have read many posts, but not many from those who finished the whole process and will be starting Residency here in a few weeks.

P.S. if need anything else, feel free to email my hotmail acct.... cicchri

Sincerely,
BonBon 4Evr
 
Thank you for sharing your story. I would just add the following observations...

I didn't have great MCAT scores and didn't know anything about Caribbean Schools, so I only applied to one school, SJSM.

I would not recommend this as an advisable approach. First off, do your homework. Secondly, stick to schools that have a long track record of placing graduates in a variety of competitive residencies in a multitude of states. (But, recognize that you will likely end-up in a primary care specialty.)

I did take an additional 7 months to take Step I, whereas newer students now seem like they only take about 5 months (maybe the teaching is improved).

This seems highly unusual. Some state boards of medicine will require you to account for large gaps in your education. Expect that you will get 5-8 weeks (on average) to study for and pass Step 1.

I initially applied in 2015 match, without being ECFMG certified and was awaiting my CS results, I had an IV in FM at end of the season but didn't match. What I did for the year off, worked for money and did some observerships at a FM clinic to show more interest in FM. Applied for '16 match, had 4 IVs, all FM, matched at my top program (entering class of 3 AMG's 2 DO's and 3 IMG's).

This is extremely fortunate. Your chances of failing to Match increase significantly (and almost seemingly exponentially) if you fail to Match in your graduation year.

Also, I would only recommend going the caribbean route if this is something you truly need to do.

I don't have the time to discuss your other points following this statement (but they have been exhaustively explored on other threads), but I would only add that you should do your homework before you even consider going this route. It is fraught with perils that the average student cannot possibly foresee. No offense, but you seem like that guy who mistakenly swam through the shark infested yet didn't get bitten. Congratulations on that. After all, someone has to win the lottery.

-Skip
 
Hey,
I appreciate the reply.
Regarding a few things you said, I agree with some. Applying to SJSM was something that I heard that had people in residencies, that didnt require an MCAT, so it kind of was a deal. However, the application to them was a joke, at the time I applied to them, I truly thought I had a decent shot at a few D.O. schools. When I didnt get any good fortunes, I only had SJSM. I dont believe i recommended this to anyone good sir tho, just sharing my experience on how I stumbled onto a medical school in the caribbean (that if you get into a Big 4, choose them, but if you don't SJSM can get you placed).

The comment about 5-8 weeks, most IMGs that arent from the Big 4 that I met during my rotations all took roughly 4-6 months in prep for step 1. It has a little to do with the education on the islands I believe, me, I know Ive always been a slower book learner than anything, but it wasn't really ever brought up in my interviews about there being a gap. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe some places give you more leeway than you think at other hospitals. And I can tell you, if you look at SJSM match for this year, half of the match group isn't from this years' class. The family forums that I was apart of this year, many of the folks who matched were either fresh 2016 or 2015 grads. I would say tho, after 2 cycles I am sure things would get difficult (3, 5, 7 year cut offs at a lot of hospitals).

I dont know what you meant about the lottery subject. I really dont think I won any lottery. I went to a subpar school, that gave the materials needed to succeed. The teachings werent the greatest, but they sure did come through on their promise to have me placed in rotations, and to be able to apply to US residencies. At the time of applying to med schools, you hear much about you cant work anywhere at certain schools. This place, may not have everywhere, but at least I could still choose the majority of the country. My own difficulties were overcome with much prep, sweat, blood, etc... I think i truly earned my residency position, and didnt win a lottery. Yes, there was a bit of luck like anything, but hard work can overcome many obstacles.

Good luck everyone, as said tho, if you can get into a US MD school do it... if not, consider DO.... then Big 4... after that, at least you know from one experience that SJSM can get you there.... not the easiest path, but can be done
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I appreciate the reply.
Regarding a few things you said, I agree with some. Applying to SJSM was something that I heard that had people in residencies, that didnt require an MCAT, so it kind of was a deal. However, the application to them was a joke, at the time I applied to them, I truly thought I had a decent shot at a few D.O. schools. When I didnt get any good fortunes, I only had SJSM. I dont believe i recommended this to anyone good sir tho, just sharing my experience on how I stumbled onto a medical school in the caribbean (that if you get into a Big 4, choose them, but if you don't SJSM can get you placed).

The comment about 5-8 weeks, most IMGs that arent from the Big 4 that I met during my rotations all took roughly 4-6 months in prep for step 1. It has a little to do with the education on the islands I believe, me, I know Ive always been a slower book learner than anything, but it wasn't really ever brought up in my interviews about there being a gap. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe some places give you more leeway than you think at other hospitals. And I can tell you, if you look at SJSM match for this year, half of the match group isn't from this years' class. The family forums that I was apart of this year, many of the folks who matched were either fresh 2016 or 2015 grads. I would say tho, after 2 cycles I am sure things would get difficult (3, 5, 7 year cut offs at a lot of hospitals).

I dont know what you meant about the lottery subject. I really dont think I won any lottery. I went to a subpar school, that gave the materials needed to succeed. The teachings werent the greatest, but they sure did come through on their promise to have me placed in rotations, and to be able to apply to US residencies. At the time of applying to med schools, you hear much about you cant work anywhere at certain schools. This place, may not have everywhere, but at least I could still choose the majority of the country. My own difficulties were overcome with much prep, sweat, blood, etc... I think i truly earned my residency position, and didnt win a lottery. Yes, there was a bit of luck like anything, but hard work can overcome many obstacles.

Good luck everyone, as said tho, if you can get into a US MD school do it... if not, consider DO.... then Big 4... after that, at least you know from one experience that SJSM can get you there.... not the easiest path, but can be done
You got incredibly lucky. While I (and others) appreciate reading about your journey, and am happy that you eventually matched, anyone who is even slightly considering SJSM should be incredibly scared and turned off by your story.
 
It has a little to do with the education on the islands I believe, me, I know Ive always been a slower book learner than anything, but it wasn't really ever brought up in my interviews about there being a gap.

When I applied for my permanent, unrestricted medical license (not training license) with the Florida BOM, it was initially queried why I hadn't told them about a perceived "gap" in my education. The inference was that I had been withholding information from them. I had to write a formal letter, with the help of an attorney, to explain that it was not related to any academic withdrawal, being held back, or because there was a competency issue. It was because Ross had scheduled my core rotations that way. It was, fortunately for me, an acceptable explanation and they issued me a license.

In my mind, 4-6 months is not usual and may raise questions in your transcript. If not with a residency program, at least be prepared to have to explain it to someone somewhere at sometime.

-Skip
 
Thanks for the replies. Oh for sure, when your going IMG route to begin with its a loaded revolver your throwing around lol, just fewer bullets in the gun when going Big 4 than say bottom 20 or 30 caribbean.
The big reason like I said prior about applying a second year was due to not having CS score back until December of 2015 match. Once that came in I wad able to get a couple of IVs, but once 2016 season ca me rolling in it was much easier getting IVs, even though as said in other forums, it's only getting harder with each year.
Personally, I understand why people do this, hell I was one of them. But I know that today, there is no way in hell I would do this over again with thr phasing out of IMGs. But this is something that regardless how much people will tell you, if you truly have that desire, your going to go against all the odds. Only a few of us that go this route will succeed.
Just wanted to shed some light on an experience is all lol. I think in general choosing any offshore school is a little frightening, some more so than others hahaha.