Recent Sports/Spine articles?

Started by Taus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Taus

.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MSIII and have a Sports/Spine elective rotation coming up. I would like to familiarize myself w/ the most recent significant articles that are relevant to the field. I took a look through the list in the FAQ's and there are definitely a lot of good articles, but it hasn't been updated since 2004. Any recommendations?

Also, I'd really appreciate any other advice regarding getting ready for this rotation. I'm planning on brushing up on my msk anatomy, practicing my physical exam and reading relevant chapters in Choi and Secrets.

Thanks a lot.
 
I'm an MSIII and have a Sports/Spine elective rotation coming up. I would like to familiarize myself w/ the most recent significant articles that are relevant to the field. I took a look through the list in the FAQ's and there are definitely a lot of good articles, but it hasn't been updated since 2004. Any recommendations?

Also, I'd really appreciate any other advice regarding getting ready for this rotation. I'm planning on brushing up on my msk anatomy, practicing my physical exam and reading relevant chapters in Choi and Secrets.

Thanks a lot.

i already pm-ed you but will post in case others are interested.

Since you're a med student I wouldn't think they would expect you to know much so wouldn't sweat that part of it but it's good knowledge to have anyway - Choi and secrets are good places to start. If you can get a hold of hoppenfeld - the illustrations are excellent for learning physical exam maneuvers. at my residency, we all get the Magee physical exam book and hoppenfeld - but Magee is very thorough and not sure if you need that much detail.

If you can look at a couple xrays each of - back, shoulder, hip, knee, ankle, hand, and know some landmarks and imaging views - as well as MRI of the spine - I think you will more than impress.

Know the dural tension maneuvers, dermatomes, reflexes, manual muscle testing maneuvers, and other physical exam stuff. PASSOR has a physical exam guideline http://www.aapmr.org/passor/attachmt/msk.pdf
which will be good to skim through.

All that should take you a lot of time - but will definitely give you a nice advantage for residency as well.
 
I would familiarize yourself with the two SPORT trial articles by Weinstein, Lurie, et al

They compare surgical v non-surgical management for spine pain, and are probably the most important clincial trials that have emerged in the past decade. The 1st article was in JAMA in 2006, and the second article was in NEJM in 2007. The 3rd article is pending