Recent Tufts MBS Chatter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrothere

Pre-Med Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there gotten accepted/waitlisted/rejected from the Tufts MBS lately?

I had a completed application on May 23 and now I'm playing the waiting game. I have OK stats (3.5 gpa, 28 mcat) but I'm getting nervous that they may snuff me out for applying so late :scared:.

Is there anyone out there who was accepted this late last year?
Are my stats comparable to any of you folks who have gotten accepted?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted with a 34Q and a 3.3 a few weeks ago...it took them about a month to get back to me

Members don't see this ad :)
Got in with 3.3/30S, took them about a month.

Anyone know which classes have labs also (finishing up my AMCAS)? Where are people going to live?

I just finished the MBS program and now am working on my thesis. To answer the labs question, two classes have labs - Cell, Tissue, Organ Bio and Anatomy. They are both computer based with some opportunity to do some work in the med gross lab for anatomy.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing yet. The class is not full yet, and they are still actively considering applications and sending out acceptances.

Great info guys, thanks!
Did everyone receive their notification via their website? Or is this going to be another snail mail snooze-athon (I'm looking at you, Loyola :smuggrin:)?

I was complete on 5/27 about a week and a half after sending everything in and I am also waiting to here back (stats 3.4 32O). What kind of clinical experience did you guys have on your application? I don't have any was planing on taking advantage of the many opportunities that they offer for volunteer and clinical experience. I will be starting doctor shadowing (2 diff docs) and volunteering at hospital and clinical trials site next week. Should I send them a letter stating this.....?

I have 2 1/2 as pharmacy tech and was told it doesn't count as clinical experience

3 years phlebotomy experience, 1 full summer Hematology/Oncology Clinic Internship (working and shadowing physicians)

I just finished the MBS program and now am working on my thesis. To answer the labs question, two classes have labs - Cell, Tissue, Organ Bio and Anatomy. They are both computer based with some opportunity to do some work in the med gross lab for anatomy.

Cali Anteater,
Could you give me the pros and cons for the MBS program? I've been accepted to a couple of SMPs and am trying to weigh my options.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
applied 4/15, just heard today.... waitlisted :-/ i guess the waiting game continues.

If you have any new info that supports your app, I would suggest sending it to Peg, as she encourages that kind of thing.

applied 4/15, just heard today.... waitlisted :-/ i guess the waiting game continues.

If you have any new info that supports your app, I would suggest sending it to Peg, as she encourages that kind of thing.

What are your stats?

2.99 GPA, 28Q MCAT, some research both clinical/theoretical, top 20 college, engineering major.

Hope the process comes out better for ya'll

To those who have already completed the Tufts MBS...is there anything you would have done over the summer to prepare for the program?

called today was told that a decision had been made today and to check online at midnight ugh!!!! 8 agonizing more hours.....

hah weak!! I'll be watching my website with anticipation too :p

Woo!! I'll be attending Tufts MBS, unless I hear from Georgetown! But as of now, I am ready to start studying in August. ;) I'm also looking for roommates and/or places to live. Holler at me if you are interesting!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a current MBS student and I wanted to let you know that I have an available room in the Metropolitan starting Sept. 1 (date negotiable). The building is right next to Tufts Med. It's a three bedroom and the rent is $1175 for the room. Utilities run about $50 a month as well. Rent plus sercurity deposit due at signing. We have AC/heat, concierge, laundry machines in the building. Please let me know if you're interested!

Whooooooooo accepted a few mins ago online !!! now the decision time comes Tufts or BU.....

I'll also be attending in august and I'm starting to look for housing. sharing an apartment/house is wayyyy cheaper, so if anyone is down to share a place, message me!

also is anyone going to the mbs open house this thursday?

guys i just applied to this program and for my personal statement, i just submitted my ps for amcas...did any of you guys do this? I know I didn't answer the question, but I have no time right now, because I'm filling out secondaries for med school and working 9-5...any opinions on this?

guys i just applied to this program and for my personal statement, i just submitted my ps for amcas...did any of you guys do this? I know I didn't answer the question, but I have no time right now, because I'm filling out secondaries for med school and working 9-5...any opinions on this?
I called and spoke to someone before i submitted my application, and they said it was fine to submit my AMCAS PS. I just modified the end a little to say that I wanted to go to Tufts because it would help reach my goal of becoming a doctor etc. Just a short extra paragraph that flowed with the rest. So you should be fine. (I'm waitlisted).

Jeez.... I still haven't heard anything yet. Not even waitlisted. It will be 6 full weeks on Friday.

Anyone have any new information about the waitlist or class size? I'm starting to lose hope. :(

I just withdrew from the class today so hopefully one of you get my spot...

Hi! Did anybody use their GRE score instead of the MCAT for their application? If so, what were your scores and did you receive an acceptance? What is the general view on submitting the GRE instead of MCAT to SMPs?

Thanks!

Good luck to those on the waiting list and congratulations to those who got in!

I was accepted last Friday, and to Rosalind Franklin today. I've made my decision : Rosalind it is. However, to those hopefuls..I am about to decline my spot, so it will go to whoever is first on the wait-list.

Also, you should be aware that I applied on about June 20th. I was given an acceptance. My MCATs was a 36Q and my GPA a 3.4, however.

Peg Martin is out of the office until July 14th........does that mean I have to wait until then to hear about anything for the waitlist? I sent her an update too, about a presentation with my name as an author, so I hope the admissions committee will see it before the 14th!! I know they are accepting applications until the 15th too...looks like my chances aren't too great right now :\

This waiting is getting to me!

I submitted my application on may 6 and never got the email for my user name and password. ugh. i'll have to call tomorrow.

That's a total bummer. Let me know how it goes! I'm going to have to call/email them sometime soon in order to figure out their decision. Good luck!

Hey guys, good news for you all. I was accepted to Tufts, but I have decided already to do the MA in Medical Sciences program at BU, so I will be declining my acceptance. So one more spot is open! Also, to any of you people who applied late, don't worry, there is still hope, my application was complete July 7th and I still got in.

Hey guys, good news for you all. I was accepted to Tufts, but I have decided already to do the MA in Medical Sciences program at BU, so I will be declining my acceptance. So one more spot is open! Also, to any of you people who applied late, don't worry, there is still hope, my application was complete July 7th and I still got in.

What made you decide on BU over Tufts I was in the same boat as you and went with tufts over BU....

What made you decide on BU over Tufts I was in the same boat as you and went with tufts over BU....

Tufts tuition is a little less than BU, plus its smaller, plus theres an MCAT course, plus Tufts is a school more highly regarded for its academic competitiveness.

I'll also be attending in august and I'm starting to look for housing. sharing an apartment/house is wayyyy cheaper, so if anyone is down to share a place, message me!

also is anyone going to the mbs open house this thursday?

Hello future Jumbos! Just wanted to check in and say hello...what's the story on the housing/rooming sitch? I agree that sharing is cheaper...but I can't decide if it is a great or horrible idea to live with people in the program since I'm guessing everyone spends so much time together anyway! But it is probably good because then you can study together...aynway let me know what everyone is thinking.

I'm still really confused as to whether it is better to apply during or after completion of the program. My #'s are what I really need to work on, so I feel like applying this year would be silly since one of the points of the program is to show that you can do medical school work/strengthen your #s, right? So do most people re-take the MCAT in the program and is the course included in the tuition? Does this mean I shouldn't throw out my MCAT prep stuff just yet??

Congrats and good luck everyone! :p

I'm wondering if good performance in this program will overshadow a below average MCAT? My GPA is respectable, but the MCAT may need some work....so I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

Anyone care to share the decision deadline for Tufts (when they said that you have to have a deposit sent in by)? I'm still waiting to hear and job interviews are starting to roll in. I don't want to set up a bunch of interviews and then be forced to cancel them :(. I will hopefully hear a decision this week :thumbup:.

I was accepted last week and am just acquainting myself with the Boston rental market.. Is anyone still looking for roomates?

I am 27, male, from northern California, and I love long walks on.. j/k

edit: And to reply to harrothere, I got my acceptance online on the 14th of July and the letter asked me to reply no later than the 1st of August.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Yeah it seems like they gave us just under 3 weeks. Peg Martin said that they are trying to send out all of their decisions by the end of the month. I am still trying to figure out my housing situation..I'm from L.A. but went to Tufts undergrad so I am familiar with the area though the undergrad is in Medford. My friend said that a lot of the Tufts med students live at the Metropolitan. What are people looking to spend? The med school is in Chinatown which is kinda sketchy so it's probably good that a lot of the apartment buildings in that area have concierge/doorman, especially for us girls. When is everyone moving out there??

P.S. Should we start an "Official Tufts MBS Class of 2009" SDN page?

:)

Last edited:

Boston University's program seems more established than Tufts, and I already have links to the faculty there. I feel like if I did well at BU I would have a better chance of getting into med school there then I would getting into Tufts, if I went with the MBS program. Also, I am pretty content with my MCAT score (although I wouldn't mind it being a tad higher, I don't want to risk doing worse; i'm lucky when it comes to standardized tests). Additionally, I disagree with the statement of Tufts being more academically competitive than BU (I know that you didn't say this but I wanted to address it too); while this might be true for undergrad, I don't believe this is the case for med school.

Mainly I decided BU would be a better choice because of personal reasons

Good luck with Tufts!

Last edited:
waitlisted :thumbdown:

I was considered complete June 6 and just got my decision this morning.
3.3 GPA, 1360 5.5 on the GRE. more waiting.........