1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Recently accepted, anyway out of Master's program?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by akestler, Nov 27, 2005.

1. akestler

akestler Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey all,

I was recently accepted and I'm looking to find a better way to spend the next few months than the master's program I am currently in. I was looking at a few volunteering opportunities and several different medical missions. Is there anyway to get out of my current program and maybe pursue something else? I'm thinking no as the letter of acceptance went something like: "your admission is contingent upon completion of the current degree granting program you are in blah blah"....anyone ever dealt with this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ClearDay

ClearDay Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm sorry.. but I have to ask. If you didn't want to finish the Master's, why are you in the program? Did you do it for med school or did you lose your interest? From what I heard, med schools doesn't like it when people don't finish their master's.

4. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey akestler,
    I had the same problem. I was doing my masters at the U of U in hematopathology. I was accepted into a bunch of schools and decided it wasn't worth my time anymore. My advisor knew my plans for medicine and she completely understood my situation and even let me keep my last semesters tuition. :) I was worried about what medical schools would say too, because the masters was on my AMCAS application and I didn't want to get accepted into medical school because I was going for my masters. I called them and informed them of my situation and all of them told me that they didn't care and that as long as my pre-reqs were complete, I would be good to go. Congrats on the acceptance, and good luck. :thumbup:

5. rocketman

rocketman Member
    5+ Year Member

Your acceptance letter specifically says that your admission is contingent upon completion of the program. There is no way out unless you get special permission from the medical school. But I don't think they make exceptions to that rule too often.