Recently accepted, anyway out of Master's program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akestler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was recently accepted and I'm looking to find a better way to spend the next few months than the master's program I am currently in. I was looking at a few volunteering opportunities and several different medical missions. Is there anyway to get out of my current program and maybe pursue something else? I'm thinking no as the letter of acceptance went something like: "your admission is contingent upon completion of the current degree granting program you are in blah blah"....anyone ever dealt with this?

Members don't see this ad.

akestler said:
Hey all,

I was recently accepted and I'm looking to find a better way to spend the next few months than the master's program I am currently in. I was looking at a few volunteering opportunities and several different medical missions. Is there anyway to get out of my current program and maybe pursue something else? I'm thinking no as the letter of acceptance went something like: "your admission is contingent upon completion of the current degree granting program you are in blah blah"....anyone ever dealt with this?

I'm sorry.. but I have to ask. If you didn't want to finish the Master's, why are you in the program? Did you do it for med school or did you lose your interest? From what I heard, med schools doesn't like it when people don't finish their master's.

akestler said:
Hey all,

Hey akestler,
I had the same problem. I was doing my masters at the U of U in hematopathology. I was accepted into a bunch of schools and decided it wasn't worth my time anymore. My advisor knew my plans for medicine and she completely understood my situation and even let me keep my last semesters tuition. :) I was worried about what medical schools would say too, because the masters was on my AMCAS application and I didn't want to get accepted into medical school because I was going for my masters. I called them and informed them of my situation and all of them told me that they didn't care and that as long as my pre-reqs were complete, I would be good to go. Congrats on the acceptance, and good luck. :thumbup:

akestler said:
Hey all,

Your acceptance letter specifically says that your admission is contingent upon completion of the program. There is no way out unless you get special permission from the medical school. But I don't think they make exceptions to that rule too often.