Recently decided, need advice

Started by alfheimr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alfheimr

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a post-bac (with a B.S. in biology) who recently decided to go to pharmacy school. I'd like to apply early decision this year, so I need to scramble to study for/take the PCATS, and I need advice about any other extra-currics I can do in a hurry that would be most beneficial.

I'm not certified to work as a pharm tech and am not sure if I have the time or if it's worth it, since I need to apply by around September. I also haven't been involved in the pre-pharm scene (no pharm-related club memberships, etc).

So what should I do to best improve my application in a short amount of time? Shadow a pharmacist? Volunteer at a hospital? Something else? Thanks!
 
I was in a similar situation as you. I decided in July of last year to apply. I was serious about becoming a pharmacist, but didn't feel like my CV was strong enough so I originally planned on waiting another year... long story. I didn't want to quit my decent-salary job to become a pharmacy tech for minimum wage so I just spent some weekends shadowing in retail and hospital pharmacies. I also make sure to start completing any missing prereqs ASAP. If you interview in the spring and a school sees that you still have a lot of prereqs to take, they will frown upon you (or so I've been told). I also started some additional volunteer work. I'd always done little projects here and there, but I committed to a weekly position. I would also try to find some leadership activity to do, such as Boys and Girls Club or something. I got asked about my leadership positions in most of my interviews. I took the PCAT in August and applied in October after I got my scores back. I found that the little bit of shadowing I had done really helped in the interviews as it gave me something to talk about in terms of experience and no one seemed to care that I hadn't had a paid position as a pharm tech. If you are not absolutely set on early decision, feel free to apply a bit later in the fall to give yourself time to get some volunteer experience and shadowing done. However, I applied a bit later in the fall and it's been hard for me to read posting by people who were already accepted before I had turned in my applications! Which school(s) are you interested in? Make sure to spend a lot of time searching this forum as there are tons of people here with good advice that helped me get through the process. Good luck!