Recently un-coupled matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApolloniaMD

ApolloniaMD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the interview process I was preparing for matching with my SO...no longer the case :( . So now, with less than a week to go before the ROL is due (and not to mention a cloudy head) I am totally reconsidering my list. I know that many of us are in the boat of uncertainty in the week before it is due, but I am down right lost.

I am interested in academics and international medicine. Of secondary importance is fun town (for singles now), EMS, and warmer weather.

So, as much as I hate to just throw this out to the forum for discussion, I need some help from those of you who may have some opinions on the following places:

Pitt
U of C
BIDMC
U AZ
U NM
Maricopa
UVA
Carolinas
U MD
GWU
Penn
NYU/Bellevue
Vanderbilt

Thanks for any input (especially the singles scene, as I just wasn't cosidering that feature of these places).

I am lucky in that I would be thrilled to be at all but 3 of these, but sadly nothing is perfect.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry dude. Sadly you aren't the only person in your position that I've met this year....... :(

You've got a really, really strong rank list and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up.

Of those on your list that I know something about, BIDMC, GW, UPenn, Bellevue, and UofC would fit for academics, great places to live, and int'l opportunities (obviously some more than others).

UMD is a great program, but not sure if you'd be as thrilled living in Baltimore compared to a lot of your other options...

Of these, I don't think there's any really strong EMS program that has really good EMS... maybe UofC?

I don't know anything about programs in the Southwest or South.

good luck.

dlung said:
Of these, I don't think there's any really strong EMS program that has really good EMS... maybe UofC?

I don't know anything about programs in the Southwest or South.

good luck.

U of C? Not so much for EMS. Maricopa is o.k. for EMS though (and the dating scene isn't bad in Phoenix!)

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
As a couples match veteran, I am sorry to hear about your situation.

The possibilities you list all look strong. You may try to rank them based on where you want to live geographically, since ending up in any program will probably not close off any post-residency career options or opportunities. :thumbup:

Good luck!

ApolloniaMD said:
I am interested in academics and international medicine. Of secondary importance is fun town (for singles now), EMS, and warmer weather.

Thanks for any input (especially the singles scene, as I just wasn't cosidering that feature of these places).

So sorry for the "situation"...

Charlotte is good for academics and (relatively) warm weather. Only a few hours from beaches, skiing and hiking. Pretty good for EMS - opportunities to teach in the paramedic academy, ride with EMS & flight service, plus a fellowship. Terrible for singles.

spyderdoc said:
You sure about your assumption there? w/ the name apollonia, I sure didn't picture the OP as a "dude"....But hey, I guess ya never know! :D

I address any person as "dude," regardless of gender, age, ethnicity... in fact, I often use the word "dude" as a simple exclamation, directed at no person at all. :D Although I suppose "dudette" is the correct feminine gender form. :D

As an EMS junkie myself, I'd say you'd get great EMS training at Charlotte, Pitt, or UNM.

Carolinas has a well respected EMS fellowship and a really cool mobile hospital they're just rolling out. Pitt is very involved with paramedic education, plus does field response and they fly as a crew member (not an observer).

You've got some great choices if EMS is your thing.

Sorry about the breakup. Sounds like a real bummer. At least it happened before the deadline.

Good luck!
Jeff

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really sure what I was looking for posting this ... shy of someone telling me where to go (which we all know doesn't work). Not to mention this situation has broadened my options (and you are so right that it is better that it happened this week than next!).

By the way, I respond to dude, dudette, hey you....

Also, how involved are the residents in EMS at Carolinas? I know that they have a strong fellowship, but during my interviews it seemed that Pitt and U of C were more involved in EMS as a resident. Any thoughts?

ApolloniaMD said:
Also, how involved are the residents in EMS at Carolinas? I know that they have a strong fellowship, but during my interviews it seemed that Pitt and U of C were more involved in EMS as a resident. Any thoughts?

As a former Charlotte paramedic, I can say that they are not all that involved. There seems to be far more involvement with Med Center Air, the air/critical ground transport service. I had only 2 resident ride-alongs with me during my career. They will occasionally teach con-ed classes for the service, though most are done by the EMS fellows or by admin. The new mobile hospital is fairly nifty, but there hasn't been any drill with it in the last 6 months. The SORT team responds to a lot of statewide disaster stuff and does not utilize Med-1. It has yet to be deployed.

'zilla

Back to Carolinas...I meant to post this URL with my previous message but didn't have it handy. Here is the URL for their new toy:

http://www.carolinasmed1.org/

Take care,
Jeff

Doczilla said:
As a former Charlotte paramedic, I can say that they are not all that involved. There seems to be far more involvement with Med Center Air, the air/critical ground transport service. I had only 2 resident ride-alongs with me during my career. They will occasionally teach con-ed classes for the service, though most are done by the EMS fellows or by admin. The new mobile hospital is fairly nifty, but there hasn't been any drill with it in the last 6 months. The SORT team responds to a lot of statewide disaster stuff and does not utilize Med-1. It has yet to be deployed.

'zilla

As a former Medic, I agree. But, I wonder if it is from a lack of interest/time/motivation on the part of the residents? I can't see Uncle Tom sending away a neophyte. Are they still teaching paramedics students?

BTW, Carolinas is good for ultrasound, too.