recertification/new topic!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

just a quick poll to see how p.a.'s feel about the recertification process every 6 years.currently a primary care exam is required with an optional surgery exam.how many of you would prefer specialty recert. exams in lieu of the primary care exam. for instance ER, ortho, surgery(without primary care), obgyn, peds, etc.
many older p.a.'s working in specialty fields argue that they don't need to remember well baby checks, etc if they work in gastroenterology or cardiac surgery. thoughts...?-E

Members don't see this ad.

Hey E....Difficult topic at best.

I have been doing this 21+ years so have recertified what-ever that comes to plus initial board exams. None are fun and i feel real sorry for my collegues who are in only sup specialty jobs because they really are not prepared for changes in primary medicine and those exams. On the other hand those exams are not that difficult and are pretty basic. There should be an exam offered to those who work in those jobs only, but what if they chose to move as many of us do from job to job? How does one make sure their knowledge base is up to snuff? Difficult problem and as much bitching as we hear form collegues about those recert exams I sure wouldn't want to be one of those thathas to answer the complaints. Probably the closest guy is subspecialty to primary or internal med would you in ER medicine. My friends who do ONLY ENT or Ortho or nephrology do have a problem I don't envy.

BTW I run a rural health clinic as a solo practitioner in NC, so I'm pretty lucky when test time comes around...I'm exposed to the new things by default.

Interested in following this thread and comments.

Bob Hollingsworth PA-C
Red Springs, N.C.

Hey MrBob,

Totally off topic here but I saw that your down in Red Springs, just down the road from me (in Fayetteville). I used to drive through your area everyday on my way to UNCP.....

I was just wondering if you were familiar with Mike Arce, PA-C in Fay. I opened a branch optometry clinic in some empty space in his office last year and it has been a great benefit for both him and I. Also work closely with Larry Sykes, PA-C as well. He opened his own urgent care clinic here a few years back and is doing pretty well also.

:clap: Tom Miller, O.D.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the recert should stay exactly how it is. For two reasons:

1. PAs have the ability to switch their scope of practice as needs/interests change. The primary care board keeps the "ever changing" PA up to date with a common foundation of medicine. This allows the surgical PA to jump into family practice (as needs/interests change) with minimal headaches and liability.

2. Many of the subspecialties overlap with primary care. For example, surgical PAs still have to manage pts post op. Not only regarding the surgical procedure, but also the diabetes, COPD, etc. that the pt also has. General sugeons are famous for this. Emergency medicine is the same way. For a significant portion of the shift, the ER PA is treating common complaints such as sinusitis, etc. along with more urgent care. Depending on what the pt feels is an "emergency". I think changing the recert would set even more limits in the PAs scope of practice,

emedpa,

I am starting D.O. school in the summer, and am also a paramedic/ PA. Small world. Best of luck in applying.

MJM

pacmatthew-which program will you be attending? do you plan on staying in emergency medicine? best of luck-e

emedpa,

Drop me your email address so we can be less public! I will be attending UNT, TexasCOM in Fort Worth, Texas. I really doubt that I will do a residency in EM, solely because the burnout rate is so high for docs. Even though they make 170 starting out, and work 12 hour shifts only 3 times a week or so, they still get very sick of the same old same old. I have been in family medicine for the past 4 years, and love it. I expect that is where I will stay likely. But who knows?

Matt, PA-C