recertify tech license as pharm student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just got admitted to the COP at U-Houston and had a quick question regarding the receritfication of your pharm tech license...is it necessary? My recertification due date is March 30th and I plan on working at my pharmacy until the end of June, and then I'll be heading down to Houston. Do you guys think I should re-certify or will I need my license later on down the line, OR, will being a pharmacy student be enough to work in a pharmacy? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I just got admitted to the COP at U-Houston and had a quick question regarding the receritfication of your pharm tech license...is it necessary? My recertification due date is March 30th and I plan on working at my pharmacy until the end of June, and then I'll be heading down to Houston. Do you guys think I should re-certify or will I need my license later on down the line, OR, will being a pharmacy student be enough to work in a pharmacy? Thanks.

It might be different for Texas, but in Oklahoma, you'll need to renew that license. You'll need it until you are eligible for intern licensure, which is probably matriculation. If not you'll be without any license from March 30 till the end of June, which is illegal in OK.

You will definately need to renew. You won't get your intern license until you've completed 30 hours, which is after your first year. I even renewed mine after I got an intern license because my company reimbursed me the full amount. Also, don't forget to do your CEs! I didn't think I was going to renew my license at first so I got stuck completing all my CEs in one nigt.