Reciprocity - is it a myth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccladybird

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently live in the great state of Illinois. In the past five years I have also lived in North Carolina and Florida. I am in the process of achieving my MA in Clinical Psychology. However, I also plan on moving (soon?) after I graduate. The program is 60 semester hours, CACREP accredited, designed to attain 740-1000 hours, and prepares students for the CPCE.

I have two questions: one is, is it possible for me to graduate, move to another state and become employed hopefully soon thereafter?
Two, the program I am currently in is designed for students to go on and take the exam(s) to become an LPC, later LCPC. But if/when I move, are licenses required for all potential jobs, or is it possible to attain a solid career with the masters degree alone? Would being licensed in one state help getting licensed in another?

Specifically, I'm interested in Oklahoma, North Carolina, New Mexico and/or Washington state. I've looked up the requirements and the hours seem best for Oklahoma, but North Carolina looks like it could be possible as well. But I'm not sure how the state approval rate is, if any. Any input would be appreciated, I've just researched it and I feel like I'm not sure how to interpret the information I'm getting. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, contacting each individual state board may be about the only way to get a truly accurate answer, given how widely requirements can differ between jurisdictions.

However, state board websites should show pretty easily with which other states (if any) they have reciprocity. I can say that for psychologists, at least in my experiences, reciprocity seems to be more the exception than the rule, but things may be different for LPCs/LCPCs.

It really depends on the state and its individual requirements. OK does not have strict standards for their LPC license, so your current standards are higher than our current state standards. I've been told the key is to get your license and then transfer. It doesn't help when going from a low standard state to a high standard state, but is helpful in some others.

I also second AA's advice to contact the individual boards of the states you are looking at moving too. It can let you know how hard that board will be to deal with before you move!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses. @Goobernut, my fear in getting my license and transferring is that from what I've researched, it is helpful but only if you attain your license and hold it for 5+ years before transferring. At that point it seems kind of like starting over anyway so I'm wondering if it would be best to just bite the bullet and "start over" when I graduate instead of building and networking in a state where I have no intention of staying long term anyway. But Oklahoma is one of the top choices so your response makes me hopeful! :)

I went from school in IL straight to NM and got licensed as an LMHC (same as IL LPC) with no problem at all.

I was in IL for school and moved to NC last year. The key is to be from a CACREP accredited program. If you are from a CACREP program, you will have no problem at all. I did not get licensed in IL since I knew I was moving, and instead I just went for licensure in NC from the beginning. My process was awful, but that was because my program was not yet accredited. If you are CACREP, you will have an easy road!

Oklahoma has a credential of Licensed Behavioral Practitioner LBP and LPC and LMFT. LBP is basically a credential for MS level clinical psychology degree for independent practice at the MS level for psychology. It is not under the Psychology Board but under the Behavioral Health Board.

LBP mostly work in State Agencies rather than private practice. They developed their own 200 question exam through the NAMP organization. They can do everything a psychologist may do in scope of practice but they are not readily accepted by third party panels whereas LPC are.

I have had LPC license since 1988. Originally in Missouri. Later in Illinois, Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Missouri, Illinois, Texas, and Louisiana has reciprocity Arkansas did not. Arkansas does not follow CACREP standards as they claim to have higher standards than CACREP. Arkansas requires ORAL exam and they had their own written exam until recently approving NCC exam about five years ago.

Last edited:
Oklahoma has a credential of Licensed Behavioral Practitioner LBP and LPC and LMFT. LBP is basically a credential for MS level clinical psychology degree for independent practice at the MS level for psychology. It is not under the Psychology Board but under the Behavioral Health Board.

In Oklahoma, LBP, LMFT, and LPC are handled by the same board -- behavioral health. None require a "specific degree" but rather list degree requirements.