Reckless ticket and Pharmacy Acceptance/Licensure

Started by Athrok
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Athrok

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been accepted in my number one school and am beginning as a P1 in August.

Yesterday I made one of the dumbest decisions of my life and received a reckless speeding ticket for my actions. After researching, in Virginia it's punishable as a misdemeanor or even a felony!

I don't realistically expect to get a felony charge, but how can a misdemeanor affect my acceptance and future licensing as a pharmacist.

This is what I've wanted to do and now a split decision I've made has put it in jeopardy. To be honest, I'm frightened.

On that note, should I contact my school before my court date and be honest with them?

I appreciate the advice SDN.
 
That usually calls for a recant of your acceptance or if you were an active student, it results in expulsion from pharmacy school.




















































































Not.

Drive carefully. Other people's lives depend on it.
 
Don't worry about it. Please DO NOT plead guilty.

Plead not guilty and either hire a traffic lawyer or if you have the time just go to the hearing, usually the DA will just offer a lower penalty as a plea bargain.

I got a ticket for 90 mph in a 55 mph zone a few months back, I believe it was a 6 point ticket, I just went to court on the date indicated and he reduced my penalty to a 3 point ticket.

I've gotten 4 speeding tickets in New York and a hell of a lot more in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, those tickets don't count on my NY record. Pharmacy schools and licensing boards don't care about traffic offenses other than DWI, which they would only care about because it involves drugs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't worry about it. Please DO NOT plead guilty.

Plead not guilty and either hire a traffic lawyer or if you have the time just go to the hearing, usually the DA will just offer a lower penalty as a plea bargain.

I got a ticket for 90 mph in a 55 mph zone a few months back, I believe it was a 6 point ticket, I just went to court on the date indicated and he reduced my penalty to a 3 point ticket.

I've gotten 4 speeding tickets in New York and a hell of a lot more in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, those tickets don't count on my NY record. Pharmacy schools and licensing boards don't care about traffic offenses other than DWI, which they would only care about because it involves drugs.
Your not very good at the whole speeding thing are you? Maybe you should get yourself a radar detector...or slow your ass down. Hopefully your mommy and daddy will ground you from using your car, I think a spanking may be in order...haha
 
Don't worry about it. Please DO NOT plead guilty.

Plead not guilty and either hire a traffic lawyer or if you have the time just go to the hearing, usually the DA will just offer a lower penalty as a plea bargain.

I got a ticket for 90 mph in a 55 mph zone a few months back, I believe it was a 6 point ticket, I just went to court on the date indicated and he reduced my penalty to a 3 point ticket.

I've gotten 4 speeding tickets in New York and a hell of a lot more in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, those tickets don't count on my NY record. Pharmacy schools and licensing boards don't care about traffic offenses other than DWI, which they would only care about because it involves drugs.

get a radar jammer, actually
 
radar jammers.... how well do those things work? i've gotten two tickets in the last week... i like to go fast... if your not first your last....
 
Your not very good at the whole speeding thing are you? Maybe you should get yourself a radar detector...or slow your ass down. Hopefully your mommy and daddy will ground you from using your car, I think a spanking may be in order...haha

I have a radar/laser detector and they aren't completely helpful because generally by the time you get a signal that there is a radar operating in the area, you have very little time to slow down.

Laser detectors...basically are ticket detectors. If you're speeding and your laser detector goes off, you are busted unless the cop decides not to come after you.

Laser jammers, I haven't found any around in the local shops, maybe I'll do better online. They are legal and are not regulated by the FCC, actually regulated by the FDA. Whereas radar jammers are illegal. (It would kinda be bad if I'm driving to school with my radar jammer on and then I drive by La Guardia Airport...)
 
I have a radar/laser detector and they aren't completely helpful because generally by the time you get a signal that there is a radar operating in the area, you have very little time to slow down.

Laser detectors...basically are ticket detectors. If you're speeding and your laser detector goes off, you are busted unless the cop decides not to come after you.

Laser jammers, I haven't found any around in the local shops, maybe I'll do better online. They are legal and are not regulated by the FCC, actually regulated by the FDA. Whereas radar jammers are illegal. (It would kinda be bad if I'm driving to school with my radar jammer on and then I drive by La Guardia Airport...)

yeah you have to order online or by mail to get the real good ones.
 
I have a radar/laser detector and they aren't completely helpful because generally by the time you get a signal that there is a radar operating in the area, you have very little time to slow down.

Laser detectors...basically are ticket detectors. If you're speeding and your laser detector goes off, you are busted unless the cop decides not to come after you.

Laser jammers, I haven't found any around in the local shops, maybe I'll do better online. They are legal and are not regulated by the FCC, actually regulated by the FDA. Whereas radar jammers are illegal. (It would kinda be bad if I'm driving to school with my radar jammer on and then I drive by La Guardia Airport...)

Take it from a recovering speeder, slow down. I've done the whole 100mph stuff, and it's stupid. One way or another, you will learn, hopefully it is not the hard way.
 
I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow and plan to keep one on retainer.

I appreciate the ongoing advice SDN.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been accepted in my number one school and am beginning as a P1 in August.

Yesterday I made one of the dumbest decisions of my life and received a reckless speeding ticket for my actions. After researching, in Virginia it's punishable as a misdemeanor or even a felony!

I don't realistically expect to get a felony charge, but how can a misdemeanor affect my acceptance and future licensing as a pharmacist.

This is what I've wanted to do and now a split decision I've made has put it in jeopardy. To be honest, I'm frightened.

On that note, should I contact my school before my court date and be honest with them?

I appreciate the advice SDN.

Don't worry too much about it. The key is being honest when you are required to disclose. Any attempt to cover it up is what will get you into trouble.

A misdemeanor will probably show up on your criminal background check, but it's a not a big red flag. I celebrated end of finals a little too hard and got a reckless op during my p1 year, which was a 3rd degree misdemeanor. I was scared and was required to disclose it for renewing intern license, and required a letter of explaination.

I wrote the letter, was apologetic, and sent it with my app, and got my license. They didn't even call me or say a word. There was a girl in my class who got a DUI during her P1 year, and didn't have a problem either.

The bottom line: they know that you are human, and will make mistakes from time to time. Once or twice will slide, it's the repeated misdemeanors and felonies that get you. But if you try to cover up and if they find out, you are in trouble.
 
I've been accepted in my number one school and am beginning as a P1 in August.

Yesterday I made one of the dumbest decisions of my life and received a reckless speeding ticket for my actions. After researching, in Virginia it's punishable as a misdemeanor or even a felony!

I don't realistically expect to get a felony charge, but how can a misdemeanor affect my acceptance and future licensing as a pharmacist.

This is what I've wanted to do and now a split decision I've made has put it in jeopardy. To be honest, I'm frightened.

On that note, should I contact my school before my court date and be honest with them?

I appreciate the advice SDN.

If you have a clean record, you will almost certainly get a great plea bargain and not have to worry about it. I don't think you need to contact your school before you are convicted because Americans are innocent until proven guilty (except in the NFL). Hiring an attorney sounds like throwing money away. Go to your hearing and if you don't get a good plea bargain, plead not guilty. You'll get a trial date and THEN you hire the lawyer. But the DA doesn't want to prosecute traffic offenders unless you hurt/killed/seriously endangered lives. In which case, hire that lawyer right away.