Reco from Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolwater88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to ask recommendation letter from doctor you shadowed just for a day?
I did not realize how some DO schools are strict about a doc recommendation and never asked the doctor i shadowed cpl years ago.
Since she will not know very much about me, will a general letter be fine with med schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is okay to get a letter from a doc you only shadowed for one day. The part that is a concern is that you shadowed this physician two years ago. They probably won't remember you and the letter, if they agree to write it, is not going to be that strong. The best letters come from people who know you well enough to write something meaningful.

If at all possible, you should work on getting a current letter from a DO, even if you only shadow them for a day or two.

It is okay to get a letter from a doc you only shadowed for one day. The part that is a concern is that you shadowed this physician two years ago. They probably won't remember you and the letter, if they agree to write it, is not going to be that strong. The best letters come from people who know you well enough to write something meaningful.

If at all possible, you should work on getting a current letter from a DO, even if you only shadow them for a day or two.

I agree with this. You should just contact the same DO you shadowed before and shadow her again. This way you will show an interest spanning a couple years and you might jog her memory about you when you show up, making an even stronger impression than you would on a doc you just met for the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it ok to ask recommendation letter from doctor you shadowed just for a day?
I did not realize how some DO schools are strict about a doc recommendation and never asked the doctor i shadowed cpl years ago.
Since she will not know very much about me, will a general letter be fine with med schools?

Thanks!

are you applying this cycle or next? If you are applying for next cycle, why don't you just start shadowing again, get some good time in so you can have a strong recommendation

I agree with this. You should just contact the same DO you shadowed before and shadow her again. This way you will show an interest spanning a couple years and you might jog her memory about you when you show up, making an even stronger impression than you would on a doc you just met for the first time.

That is a good idea, MightyMoose. :thumbup:

I got a really strong LOR from a DO who I shadowed for 2 hours. And I didn't even ask her for one, she asked me if I needed one. I had an MD letter lined up, but this DO letter was so good that I used it for all my applications (MD and DO).