Recognition of American DDS degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

George Best

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this and someone can help.

Spouse is from the Midlands, and her sister and best friend just moved back from the States to England (along with their American spouses). I think my wife and I may want to consider the possibility of me practicing in the UK. What does an American trained DDS have to do to be recognised in the UK? Would I have to start in a NHS situation or could I look at a private practice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will also be in the UK most of December, so if anyone knows anywhere I could get more information while out there it would be appreciated also.

(Mods- if this should be in the dental forum please move it, thanks)

Members don't see this ad.

I just happened to come across your posting and I am an American trained dentist as well wanting to relocate to the UK. I was wondering if you have received further information about how the process works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

George Best said:
I hope this is the right place to post this and someone can help.

Spouse is from the Midlands, and her sister and best friend just moved back from the States to England (along with their American spouses). I think my wife and I may want to consider the possibility of me practicing in the UK. What does an American trained DDS have to do to be recognised in the UK? Would I have to start in a NHS situation or could I look at a private practice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will also be in the UK most of December, so if anyone knows anywhere I could get more information while out there it would be appreciated also.

(Mods- if this should be in the dental forum please move it, thanks)