Recommend dual-applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboruto

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am an M4 applying ophtho trying to decide whether it's worth the effort to dual apply. My advisors have told me it's not necessary but the horror stories you hear of people not matching with 15 interviews scares me. I could dual apply to radiology without too much difficulty but I am concerned if having to interview for both specialties will lead to burnout and cause me to perform worse on interviews for both.

My stats:
MD school ranked 20-30 in South
1st quartile for grades but no AOA (Honored IM but HP surgery if that matters)
Step 2: mid 260s
Research: 11 papers (5 first author), 15 abstracts
Decent ECs
Probably 2 average LORs and 1 strong
Did not do aways

I know I am probably being neurotic but I would like to know, from the people on this board, would you recommend that everyone dual-apply with how competitive it's gotten?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the papers in? It would probably be a good idea to apply to all of the programs unless you have a large home program that really likes you.

Last edited:
What are the papers in? It would probably be a good idea to apply to all of the programs unless you have a large home program that really likes you.
All papers are in ophthalmology. Applying to 100 programs was my plan but any thoughts on my chances and need to dual apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t dual apply. Your stats are strong. I think barring something freakish you should match. Apply broadly as interviews can be pretty random.

All papers are in ophthalmology. Applying to 100 programs was my plan but any thoughts on my chances and need to dual apply?
No, your stats on paper are fine. It'll come down to whoever writes your letters, strategic applications, and not bombing your interview. The last part is much easier to ruin to do than you'd think, speaking with almost 7 years of experience interviewing candidates.

No, your stats on paper are fine. It'll come down to whoever writes your letters, strategic applications, and not bombing your interview. The last part is much easier to ruin to do than you'd think, speaking with almost 7 years of experience interviewing candidates.
What mistakes do you commonly see people make in interviews?

What mistakes do you commonly see people make in interviews?
Some common sense stuff you that you couldn’t make up. Here are some examples:

-Fluffing your application with papers but not knowing what’s in it. I asked some one about a toxoplasmosis article they helped with and he had no clue what it was about.
-Hitting on the female residents (especially the ones that are clearly married). I mean, really?
-Dumping on your home institution and mentors.
-Coming into an interview entitled that you should be an ophthalmologist because your parents are.
-submitting an incomplete application or falsifying information on your application that we suss out during the interview.

I could bring up more stuff if I really think about it but as you see, this is stuff you would assume would’ve been sifted out with med school applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone who gave their input. As an update, I applied only to ophthalmology and have now wrapped up my interview season. Ended up receiving 11 interviews in total. About 1/3rd were home state programs and the others were very random programs I have no ties to whatsoever. I found it hard to judge my interview performance and the virtual format made it more awkward than I remember my medical school interviews being. Will have to see if/where I end up matching but looking back now, I do think I should have done aways which unfortunately my home program advised us not to do.

Congrats on your 11 IVs. You will more than likely match with 11 IVs. I find it interesting that your home program advised you against doing aways. What was the reason if you don't mind me asking? I think the average away for optho applicants is closer to 3.
Part of it may be that our main advisor is an older doctor who remembers when aways were uncommon in ophtho. They also believed that it was difficult to make a strong impression on aways due to the limited ways students can help out in the clinic.