-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
recommend me a basic book for residency please!
Started by path12
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
THIS ^^^^
|||||||
Read the first few intro chapters before starting if you are a gunner, then read each subspecialty chapter before a rotation. Each is short/concise, and gives you pertinent info on the most common specimens you are most likely to come across.
This is by no means comprehensive, so you should still have Rosai/Silverberg/Sternberg/Mod path/ whatever as a source for each new case. Once you get the hang of it, I recommend you give up these skimpy "everything" books and get sub-specialty books. Personally I can't remember the last time I went to one of the monster compilation books for help, but it was extremely useful as a 1st or 2nd year resident.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep, agree with the others. That book is fantastic for beginning residents.
By the way, I wonder if the author of that text realizes how popular it is among first year path residents? There's really nothing else that comes close, and when I bought it the book was only around $90US, so a great value. I hope she's made some good money off her excellent product.
Molvai's book also has great resale value. I sold it after 2nd year for like 75% of the retail value.
I would add that after graduating from the molavi book, 'differential diagnosis in surgical pathology' or 'essentials of anatomic pathology' are both texts aimed at trainees. These are much more in depth than molavi, but more concise than something like Rosai. Essentials covers all AP, while differential covers mainly just surg path.
I recommend the first ten chapters of big Robbins.
D
deleted314957
I recommend the first ten chapters of big Robbins.
Very appropriate recommendation. Two reasons (a) if you really understand the material you will be more than a "morphologist" and (b) was big on the boards ( about 30 years ago but i hear it still is)
Very appropriate recommendation. Two reasons (a) if you really understand the material you will be more than a "morphologist" and (b) was big on the boards ( about 30 years ago but i hear it still is)
Seriously, the old Robbins from med school?
Seriously, the old Robbins from med school?
Chapters 1-10 of Robbins are big on the boards. Also Robbins is quite good for medical pathology (medical lung, medical liver, medical cards, medical renal). It's not good for tumors/surg path.
The basic stuff must be hit or miss, because I don't recall there being that much of it on my AP exam. Yeah, it's a good resource, but I don't know if it's worth as much time as sometimes folks imply on here. Do agree it's very good for some of the non-neoplastic stuff with respect to boards prep, although the medical lung terminology may be a bit out of date.
The basic stuff must be hit or miss, because I don't recall there being that much of it on my AP exam. Yeah, it's a good resource, but I don't know if it's worth as much time as sometimes folks imply on here. Do agree it's very good for some of the non-neoplastic stuff with respect to boards prep, although the medical lung terminology may be a bit out of date.
Agree.
I didn't review Robbins at all (not since med school). It's so basic, I guess it just makes you feel good about yourself.
If anyone really wants a copy of Essentials of Anatomic Path- I have a new copy I won at AMP this year I would like to unload. Asking 50% cover price....
I found Robbins a good reminder book at the end while studying for boards, and for certain things usually covered in the first few chapters (basic cellular mechanistic kinda stuff, etc.). I don't think it's particularly useful as a primary source while learning surgical pathology though. Frankly I wish someone had pointed me to one of those Molavi-style books. Instead I was basically told, or given the impression, that if I hadn't memorized Robbins before starting residency I was wasting everyone's time, if I didn't quickly memorize Rosai or Sternberg I was destined to fail and be lucky to land a job serving french fries in the future, and really why bother with those when you should really be memorizing the WHO specialty books, AFIP fascicles, and select other specialty reference books anyway. It was a bit dramatic, but made me jump into Rosai right off the bat -- which can be great, but isn't necessary per se, and for some people I think slows their progress considerably.
Nowadays I suggest to people they should first learn small, reputable texts very well, and work upward from there. Otherwise risk drowning in a sea of mostly irrelevant details while never learning to properly tie your shoelaces.
Nowadays I suggest to people they should first learn small, reputable texts very well, and work upward from there. Otherwise risk drowning in a sea of mostly irrelevant details while never learning to properly tie your shoelaces.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took the AP boards* -- Robbins is great for the inevitable "most common" benign/malignant tumor questions in almost every organ group, and gross pictures. Don't ignore it.
Agree with everyone else on the "essentials" book. I would add that Wheater's Histopathology is a nice photo reference, and Mill's Histopathology for Pathologists is also excellent, especially for findings that are normal variation but you didn't even know existed.
*Twice, grrr. But I'm over that hurdle now.
Agree with everyone else on the "essentials" book. I would add that Wheater's Histopathology is a nice photo reference, and Mill's Histopathology for Pathologists is also excellent, especially for findings that are normal variation but you didn't even know existed.
*Twice, grrr. But I'm over that hurdle now.
Seriously, the old Robbins from med school?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 1K