1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation Letter, appropriate?

Discussion in 'Student Research and Publishing' started by thelullaby99, Aug 10, 2011.

1. thelullaby99

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm doing an undergraduate research with a professor in my university, and he basically gave me a small project to do. This project attempts to synthesize a chemical which might be interesting to feed to a microorganism. I've been with this professor for maybe 2 months of intense meetings, work-ups, lab time, etc. In the last month we've been trying to synthesize different kind of chemical, in a group of two. This one that he gave me, I'm doing it alone, though still in early stage.

Is it appropriate to ask for a recommendation letter from him? I expect to continue working with him in the coming semester.:luck:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. byaaaaaaah23

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Absolutely, as long as you continue to work with him past the 2 months you've already put in and you think he'll write you a good letter!

How were you able to find a lab that gave you your own project so quickly? *jealous*

4. thelullaby99

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I asked, and he responded although it took some time to set up everything. I used to be skeptic when it comes to asking around, but I did ask around and this professor was the second that I wrote e-mail to. He likes having students participate, and even though I'm doing my own project I feel like I don't know a lot. But it's very nice so far, and I'm learning on the go.

ps. my project is very insignificant probably if compared to those of graduate students.:laugh: