boarder0904

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hellooo guys,
Im in a dilemma and need some help from you all.

I actually got a letter of recommendation from a dentist who i shadowed, volunteered, and assisted for the longest duration.
The only problem is that he is my uncle.
I'll be putting his name on "background information" as well.
For that reason, im currently requesting another letter from a dentist who is non relative, knows me quite well.
However, im also worried that it will take some time, and it might hold my entire application back.
My goal was to submit the application by 28th of July, but if i request a new letter from the second dentist, im guessing it will be around the first week of august.
So my question is, how bad is it to use the letter from the relatives?
Im quite sure he is professional enough not to write a biased statements but im not sure if the schools would buy it.
Please let me know if using the letter from non relative is crucial.
Thanks people!

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I can't speak for Adcoms but I would throw it out.

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
I would definitely mention your time spent there and hard work spent there but I wouldnt use him for your letter of rec. Its just never a good idea because its definitely a conflict of interest. I would just project the urgency of the letter and deadlines to the dentist who is going to write it for you so he does it in a relatively quick fashion. Good Luck!

OP
B

boarder0904

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Thanks for the advise guys, ill do that.
As a matter of fact, i realized i still could add the letter once after submitting the application. i'll go ahead and ask the dentist=). Hope im not toooooo late.