Recommendation Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammi345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the recommendation letter. I am planning to apply for the fall 2009 semster for Pharmacy School.

One of my teachers told me that he is willing to write me a general recommendation letter and send it to me now since he is switching schools and will not be able to use some header for the school that he is currently at.

I just wanted to know how others here have done their recommendation letters. Can the teacher send the letter to you, or do you tell them to send it straight to the school or Pharmcas? (sorry this might seem like a really stupid question)

Would it be ok if the teacher just gives you the recommendation letter (closed and sealed) and then you send it to when you're applying?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding the recommendation letter. I am planning to apply for the fall 2009 semster for Pharmacy School.

One of my teachers told me that he is willing to write me a general recommendation letter and send it to me now since he is switching schools and will not be able to use some header for the school that he is currently at.

I just wanted to know how others here have done their recommendation letters. Can the teacher send the letter to you, or do you tell them to send it straight to the school or Pharmcas? (sorry this might seem like a really stupid question)

Would it be ok if the teacher just gives you the recommendation letter (closed and sealed) and then you send it to when you're applying?

Any help would be really appreciated.

He can give you a couple sealed letters, but some schools require recommenders to complete specific forms, so you'll have to get him to do that as well. Some schools might also require the form sent directly from him to them. I would make a list of your prospective schools and check their recommendation requirements. Also, if you're doing pharmcas (online application service), he'll have to submit a recommendation there too.

He can give you a couple sealed letters, but some schools require recommenders to complete specific forms, so you'll have to get him to do that as well. Some schools might also require the form sent directly from him to them. I would make a list of your prospective schools and check their recommendation requirements. Also, if you're doing pharmcas (online application service), he'll have to submit a recommendation there too.

Yea you really do need to organize yourself especially if you're applying to multiple schools. About 4-5 of the schools I applied to required that I send the LORs to them directly, together with the transcripts and supplemental application. The others required it through PharmCas. Just make sure you know what each school wants. Also like the above poster mentioned, there's a form you have to print out and that's what you give to your letter writer. They put that in a sealed envelope and give it back to you. They can fill out the form directly or type up a letter on official letterhead. I gave my writers 5 different forms to fill out with an envelope for each one. I clipped the forms to each envelope and labeled the envelope to the school it was going to. This might all seem like minute details, but it's just to make things more organized and easier for them :). Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you're applying through PharmCAS, ask him for his e-mail address, and PharmCAS should take care of the rest.

If any of the schools require additional LOR's sent directly to them, ask him for a few sealed LOR's. He can just print out multiple copies and sign them.

Make sure you get several letters. I spoke with someone that worked at UH Hilo and she said sometimes people dont realize what their letters say and it's not always 100 percent positive. Get a few teachers to write letters and check them out, that way you have multiple letters to choose from.