Recommendation Letters for DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheemu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for MD medical schools along with DO schools, and my letter writers have already submitted their letters into interfolio. Should I tell them to change certain things in the letter now that I want to use them for DO schools? I mean even if they referenced in the letter how "I would excel in medical school" that shouldn't be a problem or anything right unless they specifically mention MD Medical school, which they have no reason to.

Just want to make sure i'm not overlooking anything using the same letters.

Thanks

PS. How vital is DO shadowing experience + DO LORs? I have shadowing experience of MDs, is it fair to still say in my personal statement that I want to be a doctor because of these experiences? I mean as a DO you can still practice medicine in more or less the same way (if you so choose to I know you can just practice osteopathic medicine). I am still working on trying to find a DO to shadow of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Its helpful to get a DO letter but its best to get a letter from someone who will write a glowing recommendation than simply from someone who happens to be a DO who really does not know a thing about you.

^Ya, what he said.

I have spoken with and shadowed several DOs, but I am only getting a letter from an MD because I shadowed that MD for >50 hours and worked with him on research projects.

DO shadowing + LOR is a plus but not a necessity. The idea is if you've got the opportunity, do it.

Also note many DO schools require a physician rec, and most of those schools prefer a DO rec (though they will accept an MD one).

Get the DO to mention specifically how you'd fit into osteopathic medicine for bonus points.