recommendation letters for internship apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avgolimono

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all,
With the new AAPI online application for internships, is the idea to just ask each recommender for one letter that is general, to be sent to all of the sites we are applying to? I think in the past recommenders wrote tailored letters to each site, but now I'm not sure. What have folks done in the past year since it went all online?

Thank you!
A.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, all,
With the new AAPI online application for internships, is the idea to just ask each recommender for one letter that is general, to be sent to all of the sites we are applying to? I think in the past recommenders wrote tailored letters to each site, but now I'm not sure. What have folks done in the past year since it went all online?

Thank you!
A.

Personally, I don't know that I ever heard of recommenders tailoring their letters to individual sites in the pre-online days. With the way the current system is setup, yes, you receive one letter from each reviewer that you then forward to individual sites.

They're not restricted to 1 letter per writer, although I believe most applicants just ask for 1. A possible compromise is to have your letter writers come up with letters for certain settings (e.g., 1 letter for all VA's and 1 letter for all university counseling centers). That helps them tailor your strengths to certain sites more than 1 generic letter, yet won't be as burdensome as writing 15-20 letters per applicant.

It's totally fine to have them write just 1 letter though. That's what I did, and it's the norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, all,

Thank you!
A.

I had each letter writer just write the same letter for hospitals, VAs, and counseling centers. The letters were strong and highlighted what i'm like as a supervisee and clinician using specific language. I did just fine and landed many interviews. Its more important that the letters are strong as opposed to tailoring it to each site you apply.

One of my references chose to submit a few tailored letters. This is because she knew faculty at some of the sites to which I applied.