Recommendation Requirements

Started by NStarz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. Doing some personal research and I thought I might as well share. If anyone would like to add schools (below are only the schools I will be applying to) or has differing information, please post and I'll edit.

Recommendation requirements vary for a lot of the schools. A list is below. (In other news, how do you please all of the schools?!?!?!)

Colorado: 1) vet, 2) college adviser, 3) employer
Notes: only look at 3; must match eLORs in VMCAS (designated which ones CO to view); all must be electronic; "committee letters cannot be accommodated in an electronic format"
Florida: 1) vet, 2) not specified, 3) not specified
Notes: 2 from veterinarians preferred
Illinois: 1) college professor or adviser, 2) vet, 3) vet, academician, or other
Notes: no more than 5, no less than 3; other is from someone who can "objectively evaluate your potential and motivation"
Kansas: 1) vet, 2) college adviser, 3) other
Louisiana: 1) vet, 2) not specified, 3) not specified
Notes: minimum of 3; more than one veterinarian if possible
Minnesota: 1) vet, 2) not specified, 3) not specified
Notes: minimum of 3, maximum of 6 (adcom will review all up to 6)
Missouri: 1) vet, 2) not specified, 3) not specified
Notes: minimum of 3, maximum of 5 through VMCAS
North Carolina: 1) vet or PhD scientist, 2) vet or PhD scientist, 3) not specified
Notes: minimum of 3 (VMCAS allows 5, but prefer only 3)
Ohio: 1) vet, 2) vet, 3) not specified
Penn: 1) science-related academic source, 2) vet, 3) not specified
Tufts: 1) pre-health committee (or other if not available), 2) faculty in major or one who has taught a required science course, 3) vet or research scientist
Washington: 1) vet, 2) academic, 3) other
Notes: 3, though no max specified; other(s) are from "individuals who can evaluate the oral and written communication skills as well as the scientific background of the applicant"
Wisconsin: 1-3) not specified
Notes: "Letters from veterinarians are very highly recommended, letters from employers, faculty, and academic staff are also beneficial"
Virginia-Maryland: 1-3) not specified
 
Last edited:
Correction on Missouri-- if you submit through VMCAS and their supplemental, they will look at all submitted letters (I had 5).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks Breenie and SOV. SOV, I included the pre-health committee letter because my school offers that service (Tufts may have mentioned that they accept a different letter, but I had written it down because it was solely for my purposes at the time).
 
I guess it should be considered a good thing that so many only require three...but...that's going to be a tough decision for me - deciding which recommendations to actually send in :scared:
 
Thanks Breenie and SOV. SOV, I included the pre-health committee letter because my school offers that service (Tufts may have mentioned that they accept a different letter, but I had written it down because it was solely for my purposes at the time).

Alternatively, I did my pre-reqs at a school that had a pre-med committee but I chose not to interview with them for a letter because I had only been at the school for 1 year and honestly, none of them even knew me. I didn't think the letter would be an asset to my application (really, what would they be able to say beyond "She got a bunch of A's and she wasn't a complete idiot in her interview"), and I had many others options that would be. I was accepted to Tufts so I'm guessing my decision to forgo the committee letter wasn't a deal breaker for them. So at least for Tufts (can't speak for other schools directly), don't feel like you HAVE to submit a committee letter if you have the option to. I know in the med school world it "looks bad" if your school has a committee and you don't submit a committee letter, but in my experience vet schools don't seem to care as much.
 
Alternatively, I did my pre-reqs at a school that had a pre-med committee but I chose not to interview with them for a letter because I had only been at the school for 1 year and honestly, none of them even knew me. I didn't think the letter would be an asset to my application (really, what would they be able to say beyond "She got a bunch of A's and she wasn't a complete idiot in her interview"), and I had many others options that would be. I was accepted to Tufts so I'm guessing my decision to forgo the committee letter wasn't a deal breaker for them. So at least for Tufts (can't speak for other schools directly), don't feel like you HAVE to submit a committee letter if you have the option to. I know in the med school world it "looks bad" if your school has a committee and you don't submit a committee letter, but in my experience vet schools don't seem to care as much.

Thanks, that was refreshing to hear, actually. I haven't had anyone on the committee in any of my classes (and I generally get to know my professors well) beyond my orgo II teacher with whom I didn't pass. I can't imagine how that would look on a letter! Ha!

That would certainly make my life a bit easier and less worrisome. I'll have to think about that, thanks turnbackhelly.