Recommendations for Future in Vet Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jessi Chris

MPH-VPH
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While I'm a new poster, I've actually been using the SDN forums as a resource for awhile and I've always been curious if other people have stories/similar experiences to help guide me in my future academics.

Anyway...

Currently I am preparing to graduate from Ohio State with my B.S. in Agriculture in June. For the last five years I have been majoring in Animal Sciences and completing the pre-veterinary requirements. In the fall, I will be returning to OSU as a graduate student in their MPH-Veterinary Public Health program. I am really interested in vet school after I complete a Master's. My veterinary experiences are somewhat lacking but do include some unique internships. My biggest issue, like many other students, is my less than stellar GPA's and average GRE.

Current Stats:
- Overall GPA = 3.32
- Major in Animal Sciences (GPA = 3.95)
- Minors in Zoology and Public Health (GPA= 3.0 and 3.7, respectively)
- Science GPA Approx.= 2.9-3.1 ("C's" in Chemistries and Physics)
- GRE = 1100

I've done very well in my major and have deliberately tried to diversify my coursework to include food animal, equine, and companion animal classes. I have also sought out courses outside my major to improve my competencies in anatomy, histology, ecology, virology, etc. I have an interest in regulatory medicine and, specifically, zoonotic diseases.

While I don't plan to apply to vet school for at least a year, does anyone have any recommendations or similar stories that might help me improve my status as a prospective applicant?

... or does anyone else have an interest/experience with veterinary public health?
 
Your GPAs aren't too bad, the worst being the sGPA. Not sure how heavily schools count that specifically though, to be honest. They may also be curious as to why they vary so much, from borderline ineligible to apply to almost perfect.

About how many hours of veterinary experience do you have? Unique is good, but quantity counts too. Also do you have regular animal experience as well?

Additionally I'd re-take the GRE. 1100 isn't bad but you're likely going to need higher to help compensate for the sGPA. But all in all I think you have a good shot.
 
About how many hours of veterinary experience do you have? Unique is good, but quantity counts too. Also do you have regular animal experience as well?

Less than 1000 in the last five years.

I volunteered for a few years as a foal sitter for OSU's Vet Hospital in an ICU. I have about 450+ hours with swine research (though not immediately with veterinarians). I have 500+ hours with Veterinary Medical Officers through the USDA at the national level.

I have no recent experience working with companion or small animal veterinarians.

(If things work out this summer, I may have a part-time job with a mixed animal practice.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im sure your aware of this but OSU is one of the few vet schools that allow you to start their dvm program concurrently after you have already started the mph program. Most other vet schools only allow you to start both programs at the same time. So you could apply and start the vet program half-way through your mph program

I would retake the GRE and get as much small animal experience as you can. 1100 is not bad but you will need higher as said with your gpa.
 
Less than 1000 in the last five years.

I'm not sure there's a time line on when experience 'expires', or at least I don't think 5 years is it.

I'd get some recent experience (in the form of small animal perhaps. Remember, diversity of experience counts as well) but you should be fine with 1000 hours as long as you can account for it all.

Also I'm assuming you can get vet LORs? Need at least 1, but 2 are preferred.
 
I'm not sure there's a time line on when experience 'expires', or at least I don't think 5 years is it.

I'd get some recent experience (in the form of small animal perhaps. Remember, diversity of experience counts as well) but you should be fine with 1000 hours as long as you can account for it all.

Also I'm assuming you can get vet LORs? Need at least 1, but 2 are preferred.

I don't think there's a time limit either. I put down experiences I had in high school. As a senior, I volunteered on the Zoo Team at the local zoo. Don't let valuable hours go to waste!
 
Just remember that any experience gained but not under the directive of a qualified vet counts towards animal experience and not veterinary experience. At least this is how it was when I filled it out three years ago.
My GPA's like yours were low and I had around an 1100, but had a ton of experience as a LVT, and some unique experiences as well. So you should do fine without retaking the GRE but nothing is definite especially with admissions because it is based on how you measure up to the current group applying.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone.

It's very encouraging to hear stories from other people.

I'm really excited to start the MPH-VPH program in the fall. I'm hoping to do a really awesome culminating project that will help me in whatever future endeavor I choose. Right now I'm interested in learning more about global rabies which will be personally and professionally rewarding if I can turn that interest into a research project. I'm sure the public health interest will set me apart from many vet school applicants in the future. I hope so. 🙂