Recommendations For Less Competetive Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a top 40 medical school. My Step 1 score is slightly above the national average. My 3rd year though, I've had some issues. I failed one clerkship exam (which I then later passed), and I failed one other clerkship for which I have to remediate a month. I've done about average on my other rotations.

I really want to do PM&R, and I want to make sure I get *a* residency. I think I will apply to a few of the top programs, but I want to send out the bulk of my applications to the less competetive programs out there.

I really don't want to scramble for a spot, and I don't want a waste a year of my life doing some specialty I don't like just so I can reapply to PM&R.

Anyway, what are some of the less competetive MD PM&R programs out there? Is there anyway I can find out which ones didn't fill? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

as far as programs which don't fill, someone inevitably posts the top-secret list onto these forums. if you check the monday of match week, it will be on one of these boards (and you can probably search for last year's if you are curious- that was definitely posted)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey buddy, you need to be shootin for them there stars! I completely understand the idea of being realistic but the realistic side of this is that you won't necessarily know what each program wants from it's applicants. That being said, aim high. Apply to programs you WANT to train with. If you need to, apply to a ton of programs and see what interviews materialize. True there may be some glitches in your application, but what applicant doesn't have glitches. There's a fine line between being realistic and showing lack of confidence. You'll be surprised when you get that first interview from a program you didn't necessarily think you would. So finish off your 3rd year strong and kick ass on the PM&R rotation(s) and get those letters. Learning about all the programs is daunting, but narrowing them down based on competitiveness is not a good idea, IMO of course ;) Good luck!

p.s. take Step II & the CS early so you have those scores on your application (some programs really like to see that you pass those)

We're like dogs....we smell fear!

Seriously, use your elective time to rotate at programs you have interest in. Like TUCOMsam said, kick ass in said rotations (seriously, nothing looks worse than a disinterested M4 who states he/she is highly interested in PM&R and your program who is a slacker). Get good recommendations from other physiatrists, a PD is an added bonus.

Excluding that, be like Johnny Appleseed and let your application fly to the four corners. It will cost you what, an extra grand? When you already have 2347193284712934879127 in debt?

Personally, I know several people who matched into top 10 programs who did average or below average on boards and also who failed Step 1 and still matched top 10 programs in PM&R! So take the advice of those who posted before me and rotate through programs you like, get letters and don't sell yourself short!

You know I really wasn't fishing for a motivational speech. I genuinely have very little interest in going to one of these more prestigious program. I don't think it would be a good fit for me. If I get interviews, I will probably rank them low.

Seriously, I'd like to keep this on topic for less competetive places to apply to.

Other than your top 5-10 programs, PM&R should pretty much be wide-open.

However, I would strongly recommend that you evaluate the quality of training and opportunities available at each program you're considering, regardless of their level of competitiveness.

I would not be considered a competitive applicant. My GPA was low B average, my Step 1 was slightly below average so I took Step 2 early and scored slightly above average. I also failed a third year rotation (not on the tests, but on evals). I had to completely retake it and did well the second time. I also graduated 1/2 a year late due to repeating the rotation. The bonuses I had were very good letters from two PM&R attendings and one surgery attending, a good dean's letter from a very supportive dean of student affairs and blatant honesty about my shortcomings, things I had changed and my reasons for choosing PM&R. Here is an exact breakdown of where I applied, where I was offered interviews, where I did interview and my ranking. Keep in mind I am from the midwest (South Dakota) and wanted to stay there. I got two interview offers by writing an email to programs that I hadn't heard from and telling them I was interested in interviewing there.

Applied: Mayo, U of Minn, U of Co, U of Kansas, U of Missouri, U of Mich, Case Western Reserve/MetroHealth, U of Toledo, OSU, Schwab, Marianjoy, RIC, Wayne State - total: 13

Interviews offered: Mayo, U of Minn, U of Missouri, CWR/MH, U of Toledo, Schwab, Marianjoy, Wayne State - total: 8

Interviews attended (decided didn't want to live in Chicago or Detroit): Mayo, U of Minn, U of Missouri, CWR/MH, U of Toledo - total: 5

Final rank:
1. Mayo - Closest to home, friends that live there, best program by far
2. U of Missouri - Didn't expect to like, but LOVED city, program, attendings and residents
3. U of Minn - Close to home, have friends in Minneapolis, good people and program in a big network of healthcare
4. CWR/MH - Awesome PD, great research opportunity, really liked the faculty and surprisingly Cleveland
5. U of Toledo - Sort of a back-up. Liked the residents and faculty a lot, but low prestidge value. I heard bad things about Toledo, but I liked the town a lot, even though I did get pulled over there.

We'll see how things turn out, I will only scramble into midwest programs and if I turn out without a spot, will try Occupational Medicine.

What?

Afraid we're headed back to the '80s-mid 90's?

:laugh: