Recommendations for M3 interested in ortho?

Started by GolDRoger
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GolDRoger

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for me and what I should do to increase my chances for ortho. Current M3

Here are a bit of my stats and experiences:

School: US MD, lower tier school
Pass/fail grades and passed everything M1 and M2. So far haven't honored a clerkship but all passes. I'm in my surgery clerkship right now and hoping to honor. We just have honor/pass/fail.

ECs:

- Most of my ECs involve standardized test tutoring. I've been working almost full time in medical school (full time M1 and M2 and ~30 hours per week in M3). I've been doing ACT/SAT test prep since 2015, worked for several companies and founded my own tutoring business, which I am still involved in but hard to chase leads in M3 year so now I mainly work for a big MCAT company and help develop content/teach classes.

-Part of the ortho interest group but not leadership on that

- Various volunteering organizations I've been a part of since before med school

- I was a medical assistant in Ortho and registered orthopedic tech before medical school which I am putting on there.

Research: 3 pubs so far in ortho trauma, 1 case study the other 2 were retrospective papers. I'm second author on all of these. Working on 2-3 more papers currently which are meta analysis and I'll be first author on them. One of them will be published hopefully in time for ERAS.

Presentations: One of the pubs in ortho trauma we presented at 4 conferences, have around 2 awards (1st place podium and 1st place poster at 2 different conferences)

Letters: Have one letter from an ortho PD from at a DO program (not sure if that affects anything). It is a very strong letter. Rotated with him as an elective and did research with him and the residents at that program for the past 3 years.


Obviously, right now I'm just trying to focus on Step 2 and kiling that while working on some more research. Was wondering if you all have any other recommendations or anything else I can do to improve my chances. Also wanted to ask if there is a certain number of aways that I should aim for? As of now planning to do 2-3 but not sure if that's sufficient.

Thank you all so much
 
Would aim for 3 aways at a minimum. I’ve had friends from lower tier schools do 4, especially if they don’t have a home program. Look at current resident classes on programs’ websites to get an idea of whether they accept students from your kind of school.

At this point, I wouldn’t worry much about research unless it’s strengthening a relationship with a letter writer. Your research will not be a strength of your app, it won’t be the reason a program likes you. You’ve done enough to talk about during interviews, which is all you need.
 
Would aim for 3 aways at a minimum. I’ve had friends from lower tier schools do 4, especially if they don’t have a home program. Look at current resident classes on programs’ websites to get an idea of whether they accept students from your kind of school.

At this point, I wouldn’t worry much about research unless it’s strengthening a relationship with a letter writer. Your research will not be a strength of your app, it won’t be the reason a program likes you. You’ve done enough to talk about during interviews, which is all you need.
Thanks so much for this - will try to do 3 at least