Recommendations for Orgo timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheZaLord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been mulling this over for a bit.
I will finish my gen Chem in spring '16.
My school offers Orgo 1&2 back to back in the summer session (it will begin earlier then end later than most summer classes).

I have mentioned before I work in rehab, but this year I'm contracted at a school so will have the summer off. I think I could devote more time to studying in this time frame than I could during the school year.

But I'm not sure the accelerated rate is wise, either. Or if adcoms prefer it to be a true 2-semester sequence.

What do you think? Take in the summer where I have quite a bit more free time, or in the fall, when I will be working full time again?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they really prefer a time it's taken... just require it get done. If you have a multitude more time during the summer, as the OChem condensed course is VERY rigorous, then go ahead and snag it. The following fall semester doesn't sound any more convincing, though. Working full-time while taking such courses is highly recommended against.

If I was in your spot I would do it during the summer. You can devote as much time to it as you need with few other distractions. Also the ACS final is cumulative for the first semester and it is cumulative the second semester covering both semesters. So you will have most of the material fresh on your mind when you take both tests and should score better as a result

Members don't see this ad :)
Meow I wasn't even thinking about the ACS thing...

I was leaning toward summer semester. I supoose if I do that I'll have to be sure to take no other classes at that time.

Ok, well thank you both for your insight, that makes up my mind. Summer it is!

I think some of my classmates are in for a rude awakening. Some seem to be under the impression the summer courses will be less rigorous- though why, I cannot say.

i took physics over the summer, not sure why it would be a big deal to take orgo over the summer either. It's nice to be able to free some time up during the academic year and to get orgo over with, but only if you're taking it at a decent institution where you'll actually learn it.

Yeah, Wash U. But UMSL offers it too that way. I think Wash U would be better though.