Recommendations for schools with aqua vet programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caliK463

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows which vet schools have good aqua vet programs. I would like to become a marine mammal vet and would love to work at a rescue clinic but have found little references to vet programs relating to this field... Thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Davis has the "SeaDoc Society" which I guess is more of a research program than a medical facility. I remember reading somewhere "aquatics" is one of the things they've had people do an independent track in, but that might be more fisheries management than marine mammals. You could probably do an away clinical rotation at the marine mammal rescue center in Marin, though, they're a pretty big operation and well-regarded I believe.

Well, I started out thinking Davis had a marine medical center, but it must have been the "SeaDoc Society" I was thinking of. So all in all I doubt they qualify as having an aqua vet program, but maybe something to keep your eye on if you're interested in research... :)

I'm also interested in something similar. I'm not sure how much you can learn about marine mammals in your first three years. Florida probably has something marine mammal related with all their manatees :)

The largest opportunity for marine mammal experience comes your senior year where you can choose a preceptorship to suit your future career choice. I'm going to Oregon State this fall which is about an hour from the Pacific Ocean. I'm going to look into volunteering at either the university marine center or the Oregon Coast Aquarium to get my fix until my senior year.

California has some sea lion rehabilitation centers, but I'm not sure how close they are to Davis or Western.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's also a program called Aquavet, which is course held at Woods Hole and run by Cornell and UPenn. I believe there are two sessions which are a few weeks long, and I think they are usually held in the spring or summer, and my impression is that they are only for 3rd and 4th year students. I remember the tuition being quite expensive, but we're all used to that by now, huh!

If you google aquavet you'll find all you need to know!

To agree with earlier replies, I've also heard lots of mumbling about UFlorida's marine mammal program. The marine rehab vet I worked for went to Iowa (not much marine work there....) and simply tailored her rotations to get her the best experience. I have another friend who is a vet for the Navy (and loves it!), she went to Ohio State, and I think got in by doing an externship with the Navy and being in the right place at the right time!

Hope that helps!
:)
Miranda

I, too, am particularly interested in marine mammal medicine, and am excited that my school (Auburn) offers an elective in that specific area.

I agree with Ranger7-- even if your school doesn't have a particularly strong aquatics program, you can try to do your preceptorship at an aquarium or marine facility. Also, post-DVM internships and residencies are considered very important in qualifying you to work in aquatics. Marine mammal medicine especially is a highly competitive area so it helps to get all the education and experience you can in the field. Best of luck! And here's a neat link on different opportunities in aquatic medicine if you're interested in seeing what's out there:

http://cvmstudent.cvm.msu.edu/ac/aquarium.htm#Post-DVM

Natalie
Auburn '10

I don't have any solid evidence that this is true, but it is worth looking into -
I've heard Atlantic Veterinary College (University of PEI) is very strong is the fishy/marine mammal stuff. Of course it's crazy expensive to go there as a non-Canadian resident, but if you're really interested in that field, you may want to check into it :)

Thank you all for your advice.... I really appreciate it! :D