Recommendations on finding a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7ontheline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started my glaucoma fellowship this month, and now I'm realizing I actually have to start looking for a job soon. Anybody have any recommendations on how to go about the search? Any pitfalls to avoid or general advice are certainly welcome also. I plan on going back to the Chicago area, which probably makes things more difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

7ontheline said:
Just started my glaucoma fellowship this month, and now I'm realizing I actually have to start looking for a job soon. Anybody have any recommendations on how to go about the search? Any pitfalls to avoid or general advice are certainly welcome also. I plan on going back to the Chicago area, which probably makes things more difficult.

A great website which has lots of interesting info is http://www.allerganfuturefocus.com/

You need a password from your local allergan rep. I found it really interesting, but that was maybe 6 months ago I looked. It may have even more stuff now. They sent out an email recently.

Here's the pasted text fromthe email
Post-Residency Options

Once you've finished residency, you have a number of options from which to choose. The right choice will be based on your personality, your goals and aspirations, your training thus far, and your personal and clinical interests. The section on Post-Residency Options on the Future Focus website helps address such questions as:

Is joining a group practice best?
If so, should it be a single-specialty or multi-specialty group?
Or should you consider a fellowship?
Or academic medicine?
Or working for an HMO?
Or solo practice?
If you would like to learn more, we suggest you review the materials available on Future Focus located in the "Post-Residency Options" area of the site.

For more information login to the Future Focus website.

Should you have any questions, feel free to call our Customer Support line at 1-800-832-1925.

Allergan Specialty Accounts Team

I looked at that not too long ago, it had absolutely nothing if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
7ontheline said:
I looked at that not too long ago, it had absolutely nothing if I remember correctly.

?Absolutely nothing??? Now why would you post that? How is that helpful?
You must be thinking of some other website.

It's not CNN.com, but there is definitely interesting stuff on there.

The 'professional choices' section of the aao website is quite useful.

Any pitfalls to avoid or general advice are certainly welcome also.

Go through the 'I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now ' thread on a couple of things to avoid. (In order to see that thread, you have to set your browser to 'last year' for the 'From the' setting.)

(basically: don't sign anything you don't understand, don't look at the number on the offer without looking at the 5 year potential, don't get suckered into buying into a practice with a bad contract structure).

Retinamark said:
?Absolutely nothing??? Now why would you post that? How is that helpful?
You must be thinking of some other website.

It's not CNN.com, but there is definitely interesting stuff on there.

Um, why so defensive of the website? I just checked it again today - 11 jobs in glaucoma, none anywhere near where I want to be. 2 total jobs in all of Illinois. So, not helpful in terms of job opportunities, which is what I'm looking for mostly. The advice on the site seems general but pretty good.