recommendations question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estara89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my school deadline is coming up and one of my recommenders isn't replying. Do I ask someone else or try to get in touch with them by another method like calling?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, contact them again, and offer them an out (say you can can ask someone else if they no longer have time to write the letter).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've already tried emailing and have gotten no response, I also tried calling today but got voicemail. I could try visiting them in person but my school is on break still and how would i set that up if their not responding.

so my school deadline is coming up and one of my recommenders isn't replying. Do I ask someone else or try to get in touch with them by another method like calling?
How long has it been since you e-mailed with no response? If you've already tried calling I would ask someone else before its too late because you need to notify recommenders in advance for them to write a letter also.

So I've already tried emailing and have gotten no response, I also tried calling today but got voicemail. I could try visiting them in person but my school is on break still and how would i set that up if their not responding.

The answer is no. And unfortunately it's very likely that this person is a coward. However, that's better than the two faced person who agrees to write your LOR with a smile, and then backstabs you.

so then why agree to in the first place? doesn't that put them in a bad light? and why do schools require recommendation letters when they can be potentially unreliable due to factors like having an unreliable recommender which isn't your fault, why not just let the application rely entirely on you, since this is only your future after all. Like it obviously doesn't affect the recommender's life at all, only yours. Like you could have done very well in a class and the recommender could still be an unreliable person.

If you can ask them in person once you get back from break with at least a week or more to ask another person, I would meet them in person ASAP. Otherwise, I would ask someone else, just in case.

This person might just be a procrastinator. I had someone wait to write my letter until right before the deadline. Some LOR writers are known for this...but on the off chance this isn't the case, you're better off with a back up.

It's definitely a super rude thing to do if they don't write your letter. Sorry about your situation.

I had a similar situation. I asked a person 2 weeks before deadline. A week later a got a response "yes". So I was sitting and waiting and checking phamcas 3-4 days like every 5 min. It was in progress but never submitted.. I swear I thought I lost like 10 lb. than I emailed to few professors (was a backup plan) by Facebook and school email. Everyone said yes, but never did. After a week of this stress finally one professor did and said that he understand how important that is.
The problem is that you can't do more than 4. And I had 2 rooms left.
What is good "reminder" is when you delete their email they got notified that I canceled their request. They all replied quickly.
I remember a week after deadline one professor prob woke up and send me email asking why I deleted him. I never replied.