Recommended med school in the Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mconnell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What medical schools are recommended for a US born/educated student? Why would you recommed said school? What school(s) should I stay away from? Why?
Thank you for the information.

Members don't see this ad.

mconnell said:
What medical schools are recommended for a US born/educated student? Why would you recommed said school? What school(s) should I stay away from? Why?
If you are not a Fil-Am or do not have any Filipino ancestry, go to schools that are familiar with foreigners (so you will not stick out like a sore thumb). Fatima accepts a lot of foreigners and they have clerkship rotations in the US. There are rumors about problems with their US rotations but talk to them and clarify the situation. It may just be a minor problem. Angeles University Foundation also accepts foreigners (mostly Asians) but they do not have any US rotations. I heard Cebu Doctors University allow US rotations but you have to talk with their administrations. UERM also allow a lot of US rotations but they have a quota on foreign students (about 10% of class) plus almost all of them are Fil-Ams.
Most Filipino schools will allow you to take 1-2 months of rotation (some only electives) in the US.
For local Filipinos and Fil-Ams, the popular ones with good reputation are UST-FMS,FEU-NRMF, St. Luke's (they have a modern JCIA-accredited hospital-only 1 of 2 in Asia) or even DLSU-HSC. It's really not that important which school you go to as long as you prepare well for USMLE as all of these schools are well-established institutions.

In looking at a lot of the Filipino medical school's websites there seem to be a lot of paperwork requirements just to apply to the schools. How difficult is this paperwork to obtain and deliver to the schools? Should one actually go the the Philippines to submit the paperwork? Where can I get most of the paperwork required, ie. personal history statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
tantrum said:
If you are not a Fil-Am or do not have any Filipino ancestry, go to schools that are familiar with foreigners (so you will not stick out like a sore thumb). Fatima accepts a lot of foreigners and they have clerkship rotations in the US. There are rumors about problems with their US rotations but talk to them and clarify the situation. It may just be a minor problem. Angeles University Foundation also accepts foreigners (mostly Asians) but they do not have any US rotations. I heard Cebu Doctors University allow US rotations but you have to talk with their administrations. UERM also allow a lot of US rotations but they have a quota on foreign students (about 10% of class) plus almost all of them are Fil-Ams.
Most Filipino schools will allow you to take 1-2 months of rotation (some only electives) in the US.
For local Filipinos and Fil-Ams, the popular ones with good reputation are UST-FMS,FEU-NRMF, St. Luke's (they have a modern JCIA-accredited hospital-only 1 of 2 in Asia) or even DLSU-HSC. It's really not that important which school you go to as long as you prepare well for USMLE as all of these schools are well-established institutions.

Very informative. Thanks for the post.

mconnell said:
In looking at a lot of the Filipino medical school's websites there seem to be a lot of paperwork requirements just to apply to the schools. How difficult is this paperwork to obtain and deliver to the schools? Should one actually go the the Philippines to submit the paperwork? Where can I get most of the paperwork required, ie. personal history statement?

in a nutshell, all you need is a college degree with the required number of units per subject, and a good NMAT score. You can take the NMAT anytime in your college years, it has no prerequisite subjects so basically its just an examination. Most medical schools don't usually post their requirements but you would need a birth certificate, baptismal certificate(if you can get one from the states), transcripts, NMAT score, 2 letters of recommendation from your former school preferably from the Dean and a professor), certificate of good moral conduct(which is a letter from the dean certifying you were never involved in any school misconduct etc...)

mconnell said:

I am US born/educated and I just finished medical school at Angeles University Foundation. I'm now preparing to take the USMLEs in December. I would highly recommend this school (and not just because I went to it). There are a lot of foreigners and the ones in my graduating class ranged from American to British to Taiwanese to Korean to Indian. There is also an option for you to do your clinical clerkship in the US (in New York, i believe). Many of the people that go back to the US pass the MLEs (from what I hear, I don't actually have any hard evidence). But the schools that are really popular (if you are from the Philippines) are UP, UST, FEU, UERM, PLM, DLSU, and MCU, just to name some. Good luck!

Hi naereen...i just pm u b/c im really interested in AUf!...hopefully u can help me out..thanks

wow nareen, you are the first person to attend auf that i have seen post. you are a god send. please tell us more about auf.

how is living in angeles city? what do you pay for rent.

please tell us some of the positives of auf and some of the negatives that you have experienced there.

any information is good information. nuggets of gold to me atleast.

please please do tell more.

surething1 said:
wow nareen, you are the first person to attend auf that i have seen post. you are a god send. please tell us more about auf.

how is living in angeles city? what do you pay for rent.

please tell us some of the positives of auf and some of the negatives that you have experienced there.

any information is good information. nuggets of gold to me atleast.

please please do tell more.
hi surething1!!!! i see ur here in this forum too...im in the webmd on,remember me hehe!!! yeah hopefully naereen can give us more info...

as of right now im thinking of taking the NMATs in oct and hopefully applying at AUF in time for june 2007...see u around surething1 =)